Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1954 Domi 88 - can the 'sperts assist please?

Forums

Hi All,

I have a small conundrum w.r.t. the chaincase fixings for my '54 Model 88. For reference I'm using the 1949-1950 spare parts list, the 1954 supplementary parts list and the 1955 parts list - which I figure has to be very similar to the previous years' model.

This is about the nuts/bolts/studs that fix the inner primary chaincase to the machine. Where I'm getting stuck is with part number H12-2/491 - Front chaincase inner portion and prop stand stud. (1954 Supp. List). The same part is listed in the '55 parts list - in the 1950 it is listed as D12/491 and doesn't mention the prop stand.

Norvil list a 146202 as the equivalent to D12/491 - but is this the correct part? I need this and the associated nuts and washers which were AWOL on my machine when I received it. (I can't find these parts listed at RGM or the NOC site.)

Likewise A2/490 and E6354 - parts 6 and 7 in the attached picture.

So essentially if anyone can confirm what part numbers I need and where I can find them, I would be most appreciative.

And my other question is why did the H12-2/491 include "and prop stand"? does the spring perhaps hook up on it> What's the connection?

I'm a little baffled at the moment.....

Cheers,

Bruce

Attachments chaincase-attachment-bolts-jpg

OK - think I've got this sussed - or partly, anyway.

I'm pretty sure that H12-2/491 is actually the item that the top of the centre stand spring hangs off.

This bolts into a hole on the LHS engine plate with the nut on the nearside of the plate and the attachment for the spring on the off-side of the plate. I'll pop the crankcases into the frame and see if this same nut fastens the inner chaincase to the engine plate.

Previously bruce_kirby wrote:

Hi All,

I have a small conundrum w.r.t. the chaincase fixings for my '54 Model 88. For reference I'm using the 1949-1950 spare parts list, the 1954 supplementary parts list and the 1955 parts list - which I figure has to be very similar to the previous years' model.

This is about the nuts/bolts/studs that fix the inner primary chaincase to the machine. Where I'm getting stuck is with part number H12-2/491 - Front chaincase inner portion and prop stand stud. (1954 Supp. List). The same part is listed in the '55 parts list - in the 1950 it is listed as D12/491 and doesn't mention the prop stand.

Norvil list a 146202 as the equivalent to D12/491 - but is this the correct part? I need this and the associated nuts and washers which were AWOL on my machine when I received it. (I can't find these parts listed at RGM or the NOC site.)

Likewise A2/490 and E6354 - parts 6 and 7 in the attached picture.

So essentially if anyone can confirm what part numbers I need and where I can find them, I would be most appreciative.

And my other question is why did the H12-2/491 include "and prop stand"? does the spring perhaps hook up on it> What's the connection?

I'm a little baffled at the moment.....

Cheers,

Bruce

Hi Bruce,Part '3' in your jpg is common to all featherbeds for this purpose and should be in stock at the usual vendors, although most likely in the dreaded stainless these days.Part '2' is 5/16" cyc nut, standard hex (.525").For part 10 a standard type 5/16" mudguard washer should do the job.The special washer shown as part '6' I have never seen. No doubt in some hidden corner of the empire there is a stash of these that has been overlooked for the past 60 years.......again a washer shaped to clear the crankcase boss here should do the job (as on mine).In the interests of completeness, Part 7 appears to have been a 5/16" x 1/2" cyc thread screw originally. Mine has been modified as the thread in the crankcase has been stripped out at some stage and it has been heli-coiled.As for where the side stand spring is anchored, I'm at a loss.David Chambers

Thanks Dave and Dave!

I really appreciate your feedback which clears up my conundrum. I always find the Norton parts lists extremely frustrating to work with.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans