Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1952 ES2 plunger

Forums

crankcase oil junction block leak. I cannot seem to cure the oil leaking from the joint between the crankcase and the junction block.  I have tried with paper gasket, without gasket, with careful application of joint sealant, checked that flat on both faces, eng. blue shows good fit .  The BMS copy spares catalogue shows that the block is held by a sleeve nut, whereas mine in a standard nut onto a stud into the crankcase.  I have not changed it.  I have owned the Norton for  20+ years and it has always had a nut, shakeproof washer and a plain washer.   The leak is about twelve drops in 12 hours, so is quite bad.  

Can anyone suggest a cure please?  If i had hair I would be pulling it out by now.

thank you,  Derek, Annan.

Hi Derek.

What might have happened is the soldered joint where the pipe fits into the junction could have cracked and allowed the oil to run to the bottom of the block making it look like the oil is leaking from the gasket joint.

I will have a look at mine later but the sleeve nut is probably used as there will be a recess in the block to accept the reduced diameter. Your washers may not hold the block on straight, or may reach the end of the thread before clamping the block in place. Is the dowel in place? Richard's suggestion is also worth checking out. Spray it all with brake cleaner to get rid of all the oil then dust with talcum powder.

I have a paper gasket with wellseal both sides and it doesn't leak.

And it's got a bolt holding it on with2 washers! Not what I would have chosen as I don't like bolts that are undone, even on an occasional basis, screwed into alloy.

Next time I have it apart down there I'll make a stud and sleeve nut.

In reply to by richard_cornish

Thanks Richard.  I will take a closer look at the block in light of your advice.  A good suggestion as the amount of leakage seems to be the same whatever I have tried.  Watch this space.  Thanks to all contributors so far.  Will be grateful for any suggestions/advice .

Derek

Richard, you are an Ace.  I couldn’t find a leak until I followed your sound advice and problem now solved.  Right chuffed I am.  Thanks so much for your help and ready assistance.  Makes me proud to be in the company of people who are willing to share their experience and give advice to fellow members.

Thanks to all who came up with good advice and suggestions.  It is appreciated.

The act of putting the bike on the centre stand is getting more and more difficult as ageing muscles and joints grunt and groan.  I am thinking of getting a paddock rear stand to save my bones.  The choice is bewildering and I have no idea which stand if any is suited to my ES2.  Any help/advice appreciated.   Unctions and potions and various ointments help with my back, but I am more interested in a suitable stand if anyone out there has experience of the best one to use.

thank you,

Detek

In reply to by derek_hackett

The Vincent and Rudge Stands are wonderfull ,a gentle pull on the lever while astride the bike and its done ,back wheel free. Get a local engineer/blacksmith to modify your stand.

In reply to by derek_hackett

on both my ES2, and a few Ariels , I purchased an Enfield India sidestand and modified to suit the bike, cutting horizonal mount off and rewelding with a brace vertically.so mounting on two front extended engine bolts.Using spacers to get in correct position.not original but a lot easier than using the centre stand.

Dave

The side stand on my Norton was worn ,I did not use it for 25 years,  Once the back problems started I got the stand repaired. I now use it all the time,I had not realised how much easier it is to mount the bike from the low side.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans