Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1949 ES2 torque figures?

Forums

At last I am about to start reassembly having had the barrel rebored and the big end bearing replaced as well as the clutch rebuilt ...... etc. etc.

Can anyone let me knowthe torque figuresforthecylinder head (iron)bolts?

Thanks

ian

Ian

Thanks for the info.

I'm pretty sure that the threads arein good shape, but I don't like that exclamation mark of yours.

... just another thing to worry about ;)

Thanks

Ian

Better to find out now than when the bike's all together. Check there's no crap up inside the cylinder head sleeve nuts too and use copperslip on the studs.

Cheers.

Ian.

Previously wrote:

Just bear in mind that torque figures vary between dry and lubricated threads...

...and the difference is ?

Please enlighten.

Thanks

Ian

I don't have my Zeus tables to hand, but basically if you apply, say, 35 ft lbs to a lubricated thread, a higher stress (and resulting strain or stretch) will be applied to the stud than if the thread is dry. If the thread is dry, friction losses prevent the full torque reaching the stud. Most tables quote torque figures for dry threads. In simple terms, if you are torqueing up something tight, you are more likely to strip the thread if it is lubricated than if it is dry. Clear? Gordon.

Hi.

Must admit I didn't know about the differences when torqueing lubed and dry threads. Following Gordon's post I found this:

http://raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc14.html

As you will see it also depends on the material (mine arestainless)and No. of threads. It shows that 35ft/lb for the Whitworth threads ison or over the limit depending on the material. I THINK that the stud holes are helicoiled or similar in the cases which, I guess, is why I've been able to tighten them up to the 35ft/lb mark.

I've had my ES2 for 34 years now and have used the 35ft/lb figure for around the same amount of time (both stainless and original studs). I have always lubricated the sleeve nuts and 'threadlocked' the studs into the cases.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

Previously wrote:

Hi.

Must admit I didn't know about the differences when torqueing lubed and dry threads. Following Gordon's post I found this:

http://raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc14.html

As you will see it also depends on the material (mine arestainless)and No. of threads. It shows that 35ft/lb for the Whitworth threads ison or over the limit depending on the material. I THINK that the stud holes are helicoiled or similar in the cases which, I guess, is why I've been able to tighten them up to the 35ft/lb mark.

I've had my ES2 for 34 years now and have used the 35ft/lb figure for around the same amount of time (both stainless and original studs). I have always lubricated the sleeve nuts and 'threadlocked' the studs into the cases.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

Following the link it looks as though the torque setting should be about 20% less when using copper grease.

I would be interested to hear other experiences/views.

Regards

Ian

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans