Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1949 es2 original fuel lines?

Forums

Can anyone supply original metal line fuel lines for the 1949 ES-2 or have them made up at whatever the cost will be? All that little bling stuff adds up to a nice looking bike.

The last newsletter was the best read on my imported bikes including 40 year old questions I've had on my Commando and N15 that nobody here could answer.......and yes I am old. (So what) -Chuck

There are quite a lot of variations in the height and location of fuel tank connections and the float chamber position can vary too. I don't think that it would be feasible for anyone to produce a range of copper lines.

That said, it's surprisingly easy to do using pre-annealed soft copper tube (the type sold for refrigeration). You'll need a 'T' and 1/4" BSP nipples and olives. I formed the coil on mine around a Commando fork stanchion with no special tools.

They were originally chrome plated but this brings the risk of embrittlement. On the WD bikes, the finish was dull, so I simply replicated that by tinning the assembly. It wouldn't do on a concours bike though.

Attachments fuel-pipe-battery-2-jpg

Since the fuel pipe is not subject to much heat, spray chrome might be an answer, to achieving the original look.

Chrome plated soft copper pipe is available from a good plumber's merchant and is used in high end bathrooms, chromed brass fittings available too.

I ordered the solder type 1/4 inch bsp nipples from the UK. I'm going to do the spray chrome first just to get it far closer than I have to the original. Plastic pipe and worm clamps are just not right for this bike. I won't do the wrap around of the Commando fork stanchion because I can't get it off then without dismantling the forks.....ha ha. But I have suitable large diameter tube stock to accomplish a darn good reproduction.

I got some fridge tube and I think its gonna look great. Thanks all! -Chuck

Personally I would silver solder. Much stronger and if you decide to plate, gives much better results.

I tried to dismantle an old original for the ends and it was definitely hard soldered.

Definitely silver solder - I redid mine using soft copper tube and original brass banjos.

You can plate them at home with bright nickel using a Caswell kit if you are so inclined - it is really very easy to do.

Attachments image-jpg

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans