Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1947 Model 18 fuel tank colour?

Forums

Can anyone give me some advice as to what the "correct" colour scheme should be for the fuel tank on my 1947 Model 18.

My tank is all silver with no chrome and although I have happy with this aprevious restorer did not pay any attention to getting the black lines in the correct place (they go under the rubber knee pads !) and there is no red pin striping so all in all, it's driving me nuts!

Also, can anyone recommenda good and resonably priced sprayer?

Many thanks

Ian

Ian- Roy Bacon's book "Norton Singles" lists 1947 18 as having chrome oil & petrol tank with silver painted panels lined with 1/2" wide black outer line and thin red inner line. There is a good picture (illustration perhaps) of a 1947 ES 2 (same tanks I believe) on page 114. Also, on the following page 115 there is a photograph of 1948 16 H which he lists as having the same paint details- hope this helps-Richard

I am with Adam, (and George), do whatever takes your fancy, there is no such thing as "original", it's you that has to live with it.

Paul

Thanks All

I am a lot clearer now.

As my bike is hardly original (1947 Model 18 frame, 1949 ES2 engine, 1955 8" front brakes, 1930s 8" headlamp) I'll go what what takes my fancy, but in the "spirit" of the original.

Many thanks

Ian

Your bike is a peach Ian, pure Norton.

Here's a photo of mine, also un-original (1949 Model 18 motor in 1950 ES2 frame, personal interpretation of Norton tank colours etc)

Ad

Attachments Norton.JPG

Adama

HaHa !

Not too disimilar to mine with the Brooklands can fitted.

Cannot make my mind up which looks best though.

The Brooklands can is "fun", but ........

Currently changing the mudguards to the original 1940s style as the ones fitted are no good at all.

Attachments noc2.jpg

...yeah, I know. I can't open the toolbox fully with the can fitted and the noise is lovely, but after riding for a couple of hours, God, the racket. Good plan for your mudguards though, the big old ones look the best for sure.

Ad

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans