Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1946 M18 dynamo rotation

Forums

Hi All,

My lucas parts book from pre 1950 seems to me missing a line & I am hoping someone can assist. I have a client with a 1946 Norton model 18 which is missing its dynamo. I am trying to determine if the correct unin was a lucas 200826 anti-clockwise rotation (as viewed from the drive end). or a Lucas 200825 clockwise unit. Both are E3HM-L/O used on a magdyno.

My book shows the 1937-1939 used the A/C rotation dynamo (200286) & the 1948-1949 used the Clockwise dynamo (200285).

My feeling is, the correct unit would be the 200286 anti-clockwise unit.

Thoughts?

Hi Gang,

I am shamelessly commenting on my own question in order to keep it in view still :)

I am sure someone must know the direction of either the mag, or the dynamo on a '46 Model 18? both devices are stampped with the rotation direction with arrows. Keep in mind, the rotation is called out "as viewed from the drive end". We know the mag & dyno will turn in opposite directions, so info on either device will help.

Thanks in advance,

Skip

As I understand it, from the mid 30s up until 1948 or so the inlet cam was driven by the exhaust cam which engaged with the half time pinion on the crankshaft. So the inlet cam was turning in the same direction as the crankshaft (ie clockwise from the drive end) thus so was the magneto and the dynamo would therefore be anti-clockwise.

But the easiest way to check is just to look at the driving gear and turn the engine over so you can see which way the gear goes......

As Ian says, clockwise mag and anti-clock dyno on the 1938 pattern engines which continued up until the end of the 1947 model year.

Prior to 1950 or so, it should be the short E3HM and MCR1 CVC.

Thank you gents! Big help. The machine is not available to see at this time, but I need to come up with a dynamo. I was able to come up with two good E3HM-L.O bodies, one CW 200285 dated 1945 & one ACW 200286 dater 1946, so the ACW it is, and I will gut an old MCR1 & install the very best electronic regulator I have tested, which is the Dynamo Regulators DVR2 inside to replace the old stuff & no one will be the wiser :)

DVR2

http://dynamoregulators.com/dvr2.php

Thank you again, it was a huge help to me !!

Those pdf catalogues from Brightspark are excellent. I've downloaded the relevant ones for future reference.

Afternoon from Halifax,

Should the regulator not be negative earth? Pix shows positive. All I read indicates the switch to positive earth happened in early '50s. I know the dyno itself doesn't care.

Cheers

B

Sorry about that Byron, I just posted the pic for reference, didnt notice it was +Earth. They are offered + or - earth.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans