Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1938 Model 18 control lever pivot distance

Forums

Hello,

Can somebody tell me what the correct pivot center distance is for a 1938 model 18.

7/8" and 1-1/16" pivot centers are avaliable but which one is the correct one?

I assume hÃ?ndlebar diameter for that period is 1"

Thanks for your help.

Bert van Hemert

I believe that you should have 'combination' levers on a 1938 machine, made by Doherty but not branded.

My 1939 WD16H had the broken remains of an original clamp and lever when it came to light after being damaged in 1940.

The centre to centre distance was 1 1/8" and this does turn up from time to time on older levers but I don't believe that any are currently made.

Attachments img_0836-2-jpg

My 1937 16H has 1 + 1/8 inch centres on clutch and brake. Both are combination levers. I am pretty certain they are original.The clutch lever is 5+3/8 inches long along its (front)edge, and the brake lever is 6 inches long. I had that pointed out to me last year - apparently it is correct.The Dommie has 7/8 inch centres...

..and bar diameter is 7/8 inch.There should be rubber mounts in the fork top clamps, and the bars have a brazed-on bracket bolted to the head to stop them slipping out of place.I think earlier machines had 1 inch bars.

My 38 ES2 has an original handlebar bracket but is an inch.

I agree with the piggy back levers and large lever throw. I managed to convert the lever bracket for the clutch side from the 7/8 throw by brazing a pin in the pivot hole and redrilling at the correct centres. I found new steel blades (too long and pattern) at Kempton. After modification and rechroming they look and work perfectly.

I'll have to check if the fact that I measured on the bend gave me an under-reading but is came up as 0.875". I see on earlier mails by Roger Deadman on this site that 1" was used on prewar ES2, and on the WDNorton site it says it changed to 7/8" in maybe 1942 so they were 1" before that. But those were 'trials' based. I guessed that all prewar models were the same, but maybe 'sports' models like the ES2 had bigger bars than the humble SV? Maybe my parts list has something.

Hi all inch and an eighth is the correct pivot centre as dave says long front brake lever and short clutch lever 1935 handle bars are one inch dia as are most of the wd ones 1937-38-39 all had seven eighths dia bars not sure about 1936

During a lengthy restoration of a 1938 CS1, I accumulated a mass of original Norton & associated literature. 'The Motorcycle' September 3rd 1936, has a detailed article on all the mods and specifications for 1937 Norton models.

'With the exception of International machines, all models have a new riding position. saddles have been lowered by 1-1/2", Handlebars have been bought back towards the saddle by 1-3/4"

It goes on - ' An additional feature is the employment of 7/8" handlebars with small diameter grips' So it seems that 7/8" bars were introduced for 1937 models.

'37 model production would have started in late 1936.

No mention of any details on WD models.

1 1/8" is correct for lever pivot centres.

Thanks, Roger & Roger for the extra detail...it makes a lot of sense. In most literature, the WD models are referred to as being to 1937 specification but the frames have the vertical saddle spring lugs so are in fact of the 1936 type.

I suspect that the relevant change which brought about the '1937' term was that from the 3rd brush to CVC dynamo.

It also gives a clue as to why 1" combination levers are so difficult to find. They were a WD only fixture from 1937 to 1939 at which point they were supplanted by separate parts.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans