Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1936 16H settings

Forums

Hi, Sorry lads but I'm having trouble with my 1936 16H, I have taken it out for the first time yesterday and going very gently it nipped up after about 8 miles! It was very hot. I left it for about 20mins before I restarted and went home at 30mph. I took it out today going no more than 35-40mph and again it got hot you could tell it was tightening up so I went even slower to get home. In the book of the Norton none of the settings are stated for 1936 models,does anyone have a 16H around that year, that you can give me any settings? ie; ignition timing, tappet gaps etc. The oil tank seem to be getting warm so there was oil circulating, the oil returning to the tank seemed to be only a dribble, how much should be returning when warm? I set the timing to 7/16 before TDC, valve clearance nnlet 0.004 in, exhaust 0.006 in. Sorry to be a pain but I don't know where else to get the info. Thanks in anticipation, cheers Tony.

Antony,

My first targets would be

Oil - have you checked that the oilway to the back of the barrel/piston skirt is clear and functioning. I assume the 1936 models have this, my 1944 does and i can confirm that leaving the oil tap off does take a few miles but things will tighten up.

Piston/bore clearance - have you rebored or fitted a new piston, i understand that due to their hot running sidevalves need more clearance than OHV's.

best of luck

Iain

Previously wrote:

Antony,

My first targets would be

Oil - have you checked that the oilway to the back of the barrel/piston skirt is clear and functioning. I assume the 1936 models have this, my 1944 does and i can confirm that leaving the oil tap off does take a few miles but things will tighten up.

Piston/bore clearance - have you rebored or fitted a new piston, i understand that due to their hot running sidevalves need more clearance than OHV's.

best of luck

Iain

Hi after checking the oil circulation the next thing to check is the carbie settings. A lean mixture will quickly over heat and could cause any bike to seize

I would raise the needle to its highest setting and run the biggest jet i have. good luck Marcus Deutscher.(Australia)

After checking the oil circulation the next thing to check would be the carbie settings. A very lean mixture will quickly over heat and will soon cause any bike to seize. I would raise the needle to its highest setting and use the largest jet i had My 37 16H had this problem when I first ran it and all the book settings were only good for a new engine.

good luck Marcus

How are you getting on with your hot 16H? I've been checking up my copy of a mid 1930's Norton handbook. The ignition timing for the side valve engines is listed as:

"25 degrees (7/32 inch) before TDC" (fully advanced)

Valve clearances are: .004" inlet and .006" exhaust (cold - "will be less when hot")

But over-advance is more likely to lead to pinking than overheating. Anyway - it looks like your valve clearances are OK.

Now I see the post war manual says "7/16" - looks like the prewar manual contains a misprint. I wonder how many 16H's were set too far retarded?

big difference's listed there maybe it's tocompensatefor different grades of fuel available at the time. as you say the engines are all basicly the same so should in theory require the same timing.

Saying this i wonder what would actually be the best setting for modern petrol

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans