Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1929 CS1 (CRICKET BAT)

Forums

I NEED HELP WITH MY BIKE ! THE VALVE DECOMPRESSOR LEVER ON THE CAM BOX IS MISSING ,MAKING IT VERY DIFFICULT TO START.

DOES ANY ONE HAVE HAVE A DRAWING FOR THIS PART OR BETTER STILL THE LEVER ETC TO SELL OR LOAN ME TO MAKE A NEW PART.

I LIVE IN HOPE ....DENNIS

May I make a suggestion until you get the de-compressor sorted. Put the bike in gear, rock the bike backwards against compression and try from there.Peter

Dennis

What diameter is the shaft ?

If it is 1/2" you may be able to use/rework a lever from an inter Norton or

the clutch release lever from a laydown gearbox (very similar)

These may be had from Paul Norman.

Regards

Arne

Previously peter_arnull wrote:
May I make a suggestion until you get the de-compressor sorted. Put the bike in gear, rock the bike backwards against compression and try from there.Peter

Previously arne_eftestol wrote:

Dennis

What diameter is the shaft ?

If it is 1/2" you may be able to use/rework a lever from an inter Norton or

the clutch release lever from a laydown gearbox (very similar)

These may be had from Paul Norman.

Regards

Arne

Hi Arne, Many thanks for your comments.

I cannot see a shaft that could be or has been used for the decompressor.

there is only a little mark on the rocker arm that indicates at some time pressure has been applied to crack the valve .

In a short while I will take a picture of the set -up and post again ,(a picture is worth a thousand words )Mean while many thanks for your comments

Regards Dennis

Previously dennis_lawton wrote:

there is only a little mark on the rocker arm that indicates at some time pressure has been applied to crack the valve .

In a short while I will take a picture of the set -up and post again ,(a picture is worth a thousand words )Mean while many thanks for your comments

Regards Dennis

Regards Dennis

Hi DennisIf you don't already have a parts book and an instruction manual you can download them from here:http://www.vintagenorton.com/2005/11/pdf-collection.htmlThe parts book shows the items you need. The instruction manual does give a picture of how they fit in the section on removing the cylinder head.It seems to me that the shaft for mounting the decompressor lever will fit in the hole above the exhaust rocker where your cambox has a nut and bolt.If you search the vintage norton website there are some photos of CS1 and CJ engines whiich might help you visualise how the system goes together.Hopefully, if you can't buy the parts, there is enough information for you to measure up and make something that will work.Best of luckNick

Previously nicholas_clark wrote:
Hi DennisIf you don't already have a parts book and an instruction manual you can download them from here:http://www.vintagenorton.com/2005/11/pdf-collection.htmlThe parts book shows the items you need. The instruction manual does give a picture of how they fit in the section on removing the cylinder head.It seems to me that the shaft for mounting the decompressor lever will fit in the hole above the exhaust rocker where your cambox has a nut and bolt.If you search the vintage norton website there are some photos of CS1 and CJ engines whiich might help you visualise how the system goes together.Hopefully, if you can't buy the parts, there is enough information for you to measure up and make something that will work.Best of luckNick

Good Morning Nick, Many thanks for your info I will get on to it today.

Thanks again Dennis

Hi Nick, Further to my messarge this morning ,I have not been able to find the info from the vintage Norton PDF collection.

But your observation about the nut just above the exhaust rocker could well be the place to operate a small cam to depress the valve or something similar. Can you comfirm that the nut _shaft and the nut on the other sideis used for clamping only? if so a modified shaft with an extension would enable a cam or similar to operate .

Might I be a little cheecky and ask you to email to me a copy of a page that you might have that you think will help me. Thanks in advance

Dennis My email :-dennis.lawton@tiscali.co.uk

Dennis

It is now painfully obvious that my earlier comment about later cammy Nortons was way off.

I rally hope that you find a fellow owner who have one you can make a sketch from.

Good luck !

Arne

Previously arne_eftestol wrote:

Dennis

It is now painfully obvious that my earlier comment about later cammy Nortons was way off.

I rally hope that you find a fellow owner who have one you can make a sketch from.

Good luck !

Arne

Hi Nick, I have received your emails ....they are very helpful and I thank you most sincerly , you are a true gentleman.

If we ever meet I will buy the beer,Thanks Dennis

I NEED HELP WITH MY BIKE ! THE VALVE DECOMPRESSOR LEVER ON THE CAM BOX IS MISSING ,MAKING IT VERY DIFFICULT TO START.

DOES ANY ONE HAVE HAVE A DRAWING FOR THIS PART OR BETTER STILL THE LEVER ETC TO SELL OR LOAN ME TO MAKE A NEW PART.

Hi Dennis,

Is this what you are looking for? This is the decompressor off my 1928 CS-1 engine. Let me know if you want to borrow it or I can see whether I can get a couple cast as I need another for a spare engine I have. (2nd attempt as the original file was 1,020kB)

regards, Ian

Attachments cs-1-valve-lifter-assembly-1-jpg

Previously ian_richtsteig wrote:

Hi Dennis,

Is this what you are looking for? This is the decompressor off my 1928 CS-1 engine. Let me know if you want to borrow it or I can see whether I can get a couple cast as I need another for a spare engine I have. (2nd attempt as the original file was 1,020kB)

regards, Ian

Hi Ian, That is exactly what I am looking for. Would some pictures of the

Queen tempt you to part with it ? or what is plan plan" B".

Either way I am pleased to hear from you ,Await your reply,

Regards Dennis

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans