Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

What is the modern equivalent of the correct red colour for a 1958 Dommi 99?

Forums

Richard Rumsey wrote at Saturday 17th July. 20.05hrs:

>Nothing to do with silver-grey but any colour codes/suggestions for the correct red colour for a 1958 Dommi 99 . Thanks for any help Richard<

Hello Richard,

Please forgive me for starting a fresh thread with this.

This one is going to be just as tricky as the others. I think the colour was called Post Office Red. The trouble is the GPO used various different versions of that, so matching your bike to a postbox won't help!

There is someone who may be able to advise. A Keith Ternent of Durham started a business some time ago, dealing with electronic ignition and other aspects of classic vehicles. He was trying to find the same colour for his 99 restoration. I was able to introducehim to a Scottish Norton enthusiast at his stand at Stafford a few years ago, who had brought along some original red cycle parts in the correct colour, which had been removed in 1960 and were in good condition. By coincidence,Mr Ternenthad some hydraulic work benches on display and when comparing them with the 99 cycle partsdiscovered that the colour was identical.

I have no idea whether Mr Ternent's business is still running; but histelephone numbers are still on the (classicsolutionsuk.co.uk) website: 01207 299020 or 07737 665570.

Try calling him during office hours. Hehas quite likely found thecodes for a modern paint.

Paul

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans