Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Value of 850

Forums

Hi

can anybody help me, i have a norton commando 850 mk2a 1973, in blue, 11000miles, it has not been restored, in fairly good condition, unleaded conversion, new clutch, new carbs, Dick Emery 1st owner, i am the third, what is its value as i wish to sell it. i've seen prices from £6000 up to £8000

thanks Geoff Pelling

Previously geoff_pelling wrote:

Hi

can anybody help me, i have a norton commando 850 mk2a 1973, in blue, 11000miles, it has not been restored, in fairly good condition, unleaded conversion, new clutch, new carbs, Dick Emery 1st owner, i am the third, what is its value as i wish to sell it. i've seen prices from £6000 up to £8000

thanks Geoff Pelling

Do you mean Dick "ooh you are gorgeous" Emery? I remember seeing him driving around Weybridge in the 70's in a pink open top "E" Type Jag waving to anyone who cared to recognise him. Didn't know he was into bikes though!

Hi Geoff,

Couple of suggestions,

Get yourself down to a local meeting where you should find plenty of people to give you their opinion. Where are you based ?

You could also talk tohttp://www.bonhams.com/departments/MOT-CYC/

It may cost some money but they will be able to give you a pretty good estimate.

Or at the very least, post some pictures so we can all have a guess.

Tony

From your description I'd say you're a little high (and ignoring the Dick Emery connection)-probably£4000 to £5000 is nearer the mark. I'vestudied Commando prices in depth recently after having a Mk 3850 professionally rebuilt - spending more on it than I know I'd get back in the market of course !

With detailed and authenticated provenance you might find someone willing to pay over the odds for the Dick Emery ownership but requires time and patience, and I certainly wouldn't count on it. By the way , I recall the front cover of a Motorcycle Mechanics mag circa 1970 with Dick E. on it astride his Honda 750 four - seriously into bikes apparently. He was also a driving instructor in a previous show biz life - "hello honky tonk !"

Previously david_lord wrote:

Previously geoff_pelling wrote:

Hi

thanks Geoff Pelling

Do you mean Dick "ooh you are gorgeous" Emery? I remember seeing him driving around Weybridge in the 70's in a pink open top "E" Type Jag waving to anyone who cared to recognise him. Didn't know he was into bikes though!

Hi Geoff, I remember when I was a callow yoof seeing a picture of Dick Emery riding a brand new CB 750 Honda in "Motorcycle and Scooter Mechanics" magazine. As I recall he was bike mad and always treated himself to the latest bikes when they came out. I remember reading that he was in fact a "bit of a lad" off- stage and had been something of a Rocker in his younger days. I imagine his "ooh you are awfull" persona was just part of his act and a way to make a living.

Cheers Big Alan Clarke

Shenstone Branch sec.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans