Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

USA Commando 850 electric starter details

Forums

It seems that the starter is always engaged. Evene when I use the kick started, it sounds and feels like I turning the over. Can someone explain the desengagement mechanism once the engine starts so I can investigate as to whether I need to reolace a spring or something ?

BTW, this is a factory setup.

Previously richard_stanford wrote:

It seems that the starter is always engaged. Evene when I use the kick started, it sounds and feels like I turning the over. Can someone explain the desengagement mechanism once the engine starts so I can investigate as to whether I need to reolace a spring or something ?

BTW, this is a factory setup.

Does the starter motor permanently spin when the engine is actually running, without you having the starter buttone depressed?

If it does you have a problem.

My understanding is that the starter motor is not permanently engaged, and that sprag clutch should disengage the starter motor when the motor is running,

Now I could be wrong, but if the starter is spinning with the engine running, you could well have a seized sprag clutch.

I think (?) the kick start turns the engine via the clutch and engine sprocket whereas the starter engages the engine sprocket via the starter gear and sprag. I believe that they should be independent of each other.

I am giving you my inexpert opinion because if you do have a seized sprag or something like that it could be pretty nasty.

Sadly, if it is a knackered sprag you will need to probably replace the sprag clutch, starter drive gear and engine sprocket as apparently tolerances are as close as 1 or 2 thou., and damage could make them exceed that so a new sparg on its own may not last long. Andover Norton were really helpful with this problem.

Good luck

Jack

The sprag clutch was knackered on my 76 Mk3 when I bought the bike in 1988. After a think about it I took out everything related to the E/S and placed a blanking plate in the hole. Sorted

Not as young as I was then and kicking over doesn't get any easier. In a year or two I might put the E/S back and add a stone in weight, the bike, not me. At least you have the option and the starter won't keep you off the road, unlike no engine plates for 57pre featherbed!

Hi Richard,

Take off the primary case cover (lots of oil on the floor!). Now look at the (appx.) 4 inch diameter gear, at the top and behind the chain, that connects to the small starter motor gear while someone gently kicks the engine over, or turn the rear wheel while it is in gear. If that large gear is turning then you have a damaged sprag clutch; it will have gone over centre and will be jammed. Bits will need to be replaced and you can find many other threads on this site pointing to helpful information sources.

Norm.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans