Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Rare 1955 Reg. Model 99 on eBay

Forums

It's eBay Item number: 251134673201.

I've been corresponding with the seller and the bike was first registered on November 2nd 1955. Officially 99s came out in 1956 but this one has matching numbers (L14 for a 1956 99) so it's a very early one. Interestingly it has the hinged 1955 rear mudguard but the 1956 Armstrong shocks. No reason to suppose they aren't original. A few obviousitems have been changed so it's not 100% original - but what IS these days? The primary chain outer is a post-1961 alternator type with the clutch adjustment hole. (Useful!) The headlamp is post-1958 (?). The timing cover has been changed too.

The frame, swinging arm, oil tank and battery box are all the later type. The front mudguard looks a bit odd, but it's been 47 years since I owned a 1955 Model 88 so I'm not sure if it's correct!

I know that my 1955 petrol tank was chromed with screw-on badges (still in my shed rather battered!) but what was the 1956 tank like? The tank on this bike has been refinished, with no badges or chromework. A common mod when the original is in a mess.

Cheers, Lionel

Hi Lionel,

That isn't a 1955 rear mudguard nor does it appear to be from a Norton. The way the beading has been done screams BSA to me and the front mudguard is almost certainly a pattern item as it should match the wheel's radius which it doesn't.

I would think the 56 tank is the same as a 55 unlike the singles which had different tanks in 55 and 56.

54, 55, 56 and 57 tinware was different each yearthough some items would have changed little perhaps a minor detail difference at best.

I think that in most cases the numbers match but nothing else does.....

Jim

Hi Jim,

Now that you mention it I can see there's no flare at the bottom of the rear tail like there should be, but I can't see any beading at all. The lifting handles are wrong but it's a coincidence that the tail section is hinged like the 1955 Norton. He's not claiming originality, except for the engine and frame - which, after all is most of the bike when you think about it. The frame is the "chassis" upon which a bike's year is based. He has matching numbers and a logbook with November 1955, so it is genuine in that respect.

I told him the headlamp is a later type. It should either be one with a dashboard for 1955 or one with a top panel to the headlamp for 1956 (I'd have to confirm with my friend who has an original 1956 88 buried in his garage!). The tank should have a round Norton badge - either straight onto a chromed tank or on a separate panel.

We could go on analysing thevarious parts but the point is that it's a rare "changeover" bike with at least some parts from 1955 and some from 1956 so I thought it might be of interest to NOC members.

Cheers, Lionel

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans