Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Oman Interpol 850

Forums

Hello Norton people!

I am just starting the exciting prospect of re building my 850Commando. It has taken me just 26 years to get enough money/time forthe project, however I am really looking forward to re creating themost brilliant bike I ever owned, my '73 roadster, I have had lots of bikes over the years but, the golden bronze fireflake Roadster was special maybe also being young helped too!

Anyway I bought my bike from Dave Taylor in Dorchester (are you still around Dave?)It was originally an Interpol sent out to Oman I believe - Dave asquadie serving out there, returned it to this country rebuilt in JPReplica trim, and I bought from him in '85. I intend to put it backinto Roadster spec and paint it in the amazingly garish '70 s GoldenBronze Fireflake which I think is utterly fab. I might have to get my flares out also but don't get the kickstart inside the flares, it leads to a very embarrasing get off!

After looking at the Atlantic green.com info it seems that Aug '74850's did not have same eng and frame no's mine is frame 318602 eng320355 with 850 F112739 stamped into the headstock next to the red VINplate.If any one knows more of the history of the Oman Interpols I would love to hear it.

Probably not the right place but if any of you have any standard parts in good condition please drop me a line.

All best

Happy Gary

Ps I think the site and RH mag REALLY, REALLY, GOOD. WELL DONE ALL CONCERNED

Hi Gary,

According to books I have consulted, your engine and frame no are correct for that time of 1974. However I think that at this time engine and frame nos should match. Allegedly it was only Mk3 that were diferent, however my Mk3 has identical nos and always has had ?? Another oddity is that you also have a framenumber with an F prefix. Again allegedly these started F125001, so who the hell do you beleive ? What is stamped on the VIN plate ?

I would be inclined to apply to DVLA for a full history of the bike, which you are entuitled to do as the owner. I forget which form it is, but I think I downloaded it from their website, and it only cost a couple of quid. This would give you some idea if it had a frame change as one of mine has, and who did it !!

Good luck

Hans Taylor

Previously wrote:

Hello Norton people!

I am just starting the exciting prospect of re building my 850Commando. It has taken me just 26 years to get enough money/time forthe project, however I am really looking forward to re creating themost brilliant bike I ever owned, my '73 roadster, I have had lots of bikes over the years but, the golden bronze fireflake Roadster was special maybe also being young helped too!

Anyway I bought my bike from Dave Taylor in Dorchester (are you still around Dave?)It was originally an Interpol sent out to Oman I believe - Dave asquadie serving out there, returned it to this country rebuilt in JPReplica trim, and I bought from him in '85. I intend to put it backinto Roadster spec and paint it in the amazingly garish '70 s GoldenBronze Fireflake which I think is utterly fab. I might have to get my flares out also but don't get the kickstart inside the flares, it leads to a very embarrasing get off!

After looking at the Atlantic green.com info it seems that Aug '74850's did not have same eng and frame no's mine is frame 318602 eng320355 with 850 F112739 stamped into the headstock next to the red VINplate.If any one knows more of the history of the Oman Interpols I would love to hear it.

Probably not the right place but if any of you have any standard parts in good condition please drop me a line.

All best

Happy Gary

Ps I think the site and RH mag REALLY, REALLY, GOOD. WELL DONE ALL CONCERNED
Hi Happy Gary
We have a few things in common, I too am re-commissioning my old 850, which came from the Middle East (could have been Oman, I did know once!) in 1984 as a former interpol, the spooky thing is my engine number is 318652 (close to your frame No.) and according to the V5 has the number (should be for the frame) 320376close to your engine No. My numbers have been mixed up on the V5 at some point and I have no plate on the bike or stamping. Also I have plans to paint it the heavy flake met. bronze. it looks so good with bight chrome. Flares were bad news on bikes, I had to develop a way of putting my foot down without getting caught on the gear lever.
Cheers
Simon

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans