Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Oil leak - 650SS head

Forums

A common question I guess but untimate frustration has set in for some help ...

The problem is located on the nearside back rear stud ( I say stud as the original bolt fixing has been replaced at some time with a stud and nut) Oil leaks from the the gap between the stud and the head wall and out between the joint of nut to head. There is gas forcing the oil I think as you can see it bubbling out under pressure. I am replacing the stud/nut (stripped under tightening) with a bolt as per spec.

Two new gaskets later and torqued (where I can fit a wrench and socket) in both Norton suggested configurations I am still no nearer curing the problem. I would say that it did not leak before I decided to overhaul and fit new valves and springs so something is down to me.The head surface is OK and I really don't want to go down the skimming route when it was OK before.

Being new to a Norton cylinder head removal and replacement, what a nightmare of patience to get the pushrods in place and then to find the right tools to tighten the head - one supplier said "you need the right tools and fingers of a magician" - he was not wrong ...

Good news would be good to hear ......

Hello you say its the back stud is this the one under the back in the mid way of the cylinder barrel ,as these are a nut and stud 5/16. 26pti the way the toque down a cylinder head is from the middle out wards starting with just nipping up the middle nuts then the outer ones then toque down as the manual says . but in stages .you cylinder head maybe warped by now. the only way to let is by engineers blue. and a sheet of 8mm glass put the engineer blue on the cylinder head with a small paint brush to cover the mating surfaces .and place cylinder head on the glass done let it slide. just let its own weigh do the job and lift off easy you should have a print on the glass of the mating surface and you see any high spots. or low spots on the mating surfaces sometime you do not get a seal round the spigots its give of blowing in one spot. usely the rocker tunnels

yours anna j

Previously wrote:

Hello you say its the back stud is this the one under the back in the mid way of the cylinder barrel ,as these are a nut and stud 5/16. 26pti the way the toque down a cylinder head is from the middle out wards starting with just nipping up the middle nuts then the outer ones then toque down as the manual says . but in stages .you cylinder head maybe warped by now. the only way to let is by engineers blue. and a sheet of 8mm glass put the engineer blue on the cylinder head with a small paint brush to cover the mating surfaces .and place cylinder head on the glass done let it slide. just let its own weigh do the job and lift off easy you should have a print on the glass of the mating surface and you see any high spots. or low spots on the mating surfaces sometime you do not get a seal round the spigots its give of blowing in one spot. usely the rocker tunnels

yours anna j

Thanks Anna

The oil leak is through the stud position 5 in the Twin Cylinder Head Tightening (2) as shown on the Heavy Twin Technical Section but thanks for the recommendation - will need to check.

Best regards

David

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans