Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Norton Manxman 650 will be 50 years old

Forums

Hello All Nocers ,Well the Norton Manxman 650 will be 50years old by now ? yes Well I have found out that these Machine where a Limited Addition ,As they have there own parts manual and the parts numbers in there arenot showen in the 650SS parts manual , so there must of been some diffrence beween the two machines , well I have not seen another machine like I have, On the road yet ,As I own one of the Machines from the first batch that was shipped to theUSA ,On the 13th of January 1961 , And Now its Back in the UK Yorkshire ? A Very Extremly Rare Machine Now , and a very nice Machine to Ride too , what a very lucky female I am ? yours Anna J Dixon

Hello Anna,

how is the manxman register coming along. My bike 18-100151 which I believe you registered when it was on Ebay, has been researched by Andy at Bristol branch and it seems it was first registered in Worcester '61, the logbook shows 1/3/62 as first registration, the bloke I bought it from remembered his mate buying it at Grays, Wolverhampton, quite a bit of contradiction, can you look into your reference volumes to shed some light.

It has the 3.5 gallon tank and a black seat, is all over Metallic blue and lots of chrome. Slowly going through it as its been standing for a couple of years, nothing major.

Bob Presley

Attachments B-GyjYw-mk-KGrHqQOKj-EwRDbpQf-BMMFYwGkJQ-_12.jpg

Anna,

Not sure if this one qualifies. It's another UK 650SS in Manxman colours.

I think I told you about it some time ago.

I took the picture attached at Kempton Pk about four years ago. A guy called Mick had it for sale. It was in fairly good shape, but needed a good tidy up. Good to see an original bike with barely any tacky repro parts on it. That's probably a Leighton's seat judging from the amount of padding in it.

Engine/frame: 18/100116

Shop: 650SS 688

Just 35 bikes older than Robert's.

A dealer bought it in the end.

Paul

Attachments Norton-650SS-18-100116-650SS-688.jpg

Previously wrote:

Hello Anna,

how is the manxman register coming along. My bike 18-100151 which I believe you registered when it was on Ebay, has been researched by Andy at Bristol branch and it seems it was first registered in Worcester '61, the logbook shows 1/3/62 as first registration, the bloke I bought it from remembered his mate buying it at Grays, Wolverhampton, quite a bit of contradiction, can you look into your reference volumes to shed some light.

It has the 3.5 gallon tank and a black seat, is all over Metallic blue and lots of chrome. Slowly going through it as its been standing for a couple of years, nothing major.

Bob Presley

hello bob nice too hear from you,? your machine maybe one that was sold in uk in September 61,As there was that one month that the Norton manxman SS version went on sale in the uk,? The colour of your machine is Polychromatic blue, I have put the paint codes on the heavy twin messages page, Your machine as hads some mods on it ,but its your bike that does not mater ?but if you want it back in the standard look, You will need a front deep valanced mudguard and footrests and handle bars and seat in black with white piping as these machine where the last ones before the 650ss ? happy riding yours anna j

Previously wrote:

Hello Anna,

Bob Presley

hello Bob have a look at the East yorkshire branch web page and you will see my norton manxman and that the Export model this is one of the first machine to be sent to the USA Yours Anna J

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Hello Anna,

Bob Presley

hello Bob have a look at the East yorkshire branch web page and you will see my norton manxman and that the Export model this is one of the first machine to be sent to the USA Yours Anna J

Hi Anna,

thanks for the reply, can you put some details of how the manxman register is going, are we just a few or is there still plenty of the original 100 sold over here about. your bike looks well sorted, an excellent example. best of riding BobPresley

"hello bob Your machine as hads some mods on it ,but its your bike that does not mater ?but if you want it back in the standard look, You will need a front deep valanced mudguard and footrests and handle bars and seat in black with white piping as these machine where the last ones before the 650ss ? happy riding yours anna j

It is easy to find photographs of early slimline Norton Dominators with a NON-valanced front fender, in fact it is quite easy to find period and factory photos of 1962 650ss Nortons with a non-valanced front fender. In the 62' parts book it lists the SS for that year as having the same front mudguard as the Standard model Dominator, and a chrome one as an accessory, along with...rear set footrests!

One correct thing you stated Anna, was the part where you mention it was his bike and it simply does not matter.......

Previously wrote:

"hello bob Your machine as hads some mods on it ,but its your bike that does not mater ?but if you want it back in the standard look, You will need a front deep valanced mudguard and footrests and handle bars and seat in black with white piping as these machine where the last ones before the 650ss ? happy riding yours anna j

It is easy to find photographs of early slimline Norton Dominators with a NON-valanced front fender, in fact it is quite easy to find period and factory photos of 1962 650ss Nortons with a non-valanced front fender. In the 62' parts book it lists the SS for that year as having the same front mudguard as the Standard model Dominator, and a chrome one as an accessory, along with...rear set footrests!

One correct thing you stated Anna, was the part where you mention it was his bike and it simply does not matter.......

Anna is in fact correct Benjamin. I have Manxman, buildnumber 70 and 62 Atlas, build number 40, both came with valanced fenders on the front and rear. I suppose in your mind a photo is better than an example in hand?

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Hello Anna,

Bob Presley

Hi Anna,

thanks for the reply, can you put some details of how the manxman register is going, are we just a few or is there still plenty of the original 100 sold over here about. your bike looks well sorted, an excellent example. best of riding BobPresley

hello bob I wish you a merry chistmas and happy riding in the new year ,The Norton factory records are the despach dates NOT the BUILD dates ,and regisitier dates are NOT the Build Dates ether ,we have to do the mathes to find the build date So September 61 is the date I have But that could change when we have a closer look ? As for The Manxman Regisitier is going well But it would be better if you guys with these magnifecent machine get in touch with me ? then I can make more records on them ? your anna j dixon

Previously wrote:

hello ben the 650ss parts manual is completly diffrent parts manual too the Norton Manxman It as its own parts Manual and the parts numbers are diffrent ,I have the Manxman Parts Manual and 650ss parts Manual , and the Manxman had the chrome deep valanced mudguards as Standard ?

yours Anna J Dixon

Previously wrote:

Hello All Nocers ,Well the Norton Manxman 650 will be 50years old by now ? yes Well I have found out that these Machine where a Limited Addition ,As they have there own parts manual and the parts numbers in there arenot showen in the 650SS parts manual , so there must of been some diffrence beween the two machines , well I have not seen another machine like I have, On the road yet ,As I own one of the Machines from the first batch that was shipped to theUSA ,On the 13th of January 1961 , And Now its Back in the UK Yorkshire ? A Very Extremly Rare Machine Now , and a very nice Machine to Ride too , what a very lucky female I am ? yours Anna J Dixon

Hello All you luck people Well The New Year Is here And The Norton Manxman 50Th Anniversary This Year ,That if anyone cares about Anniversarys ? Your Anna J dixon

Previously wrote:

hello all NOCers Later in the Year the Norton Manxman will be?? In the Classic Bike Giude So Look out for that copy It will be My bike In there You herd it first ? Yours Anna J Dixon

Anna is in fact correct Benjamin. I have Manxman, buildnumber 70 and 62 Atlas, build number 40, both came with valanced fenders on the front and rear. I suppose in your mind a photo is better than an example in hand?

I did not say that all Manxman bikes, or 650ss bikes had non-valanced front fenders did I? I am saying that they came both ways, and can be found both ways. I have had more than one Manxman, Atlas, 650ss, 88ss bike, and currently have a 62' 650ss with a non-valanced chrome front fender.

Next time I will take into consideration where I am casting pearls......

Previously wrote:

I did not say that all Manxman bikes, or 650ss bikes had non-valanced front fenders did I? I am saying that they came both ways, and can be found both ways. I have had more than one Manxman, Atlas, 650ss, 88ss bike, and currently have a 62' 650ss with a non-valanced chrome front fender.

Next time I will take into consideration where I am casting pearls......

hello is that you Ben are you all rigth anyway Happy New Year , Have look out for a pair of Manxman Mufflers fo me ? your My email annaJeannette@btinternet.com

Previously wrote:

hello Benjamin . yes thats ok you will find photo of 1962 650ss will narrow sport mudguards and and are parts Numbers In the 1962 Parts Manual For 1962. But We Are Talking about 1961 Norton Manxman. And It as Its own Parts Manual ? the front mudguards where full valance type ,Part Number 22677A Chrome Front Mudguard > if there's any more parts number On the Norton Manxman that you Need Let Me know ? your Anna J Dixon

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans