Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

New 961 Commando keeps cutting out

Forums

Greeting Gents, 1st post !Recently purchased and took delivery of a new Commando 961 Sport in May and from the start have experienced issues with the bike cutting outa lot of the time when I pull up at junctions etc, work has been done on the machine under warrantee but I am still experiencing issues and periodically after the machine has cut out the engine warning light illuminates and stays on and it take a considerable amount of time and effort to restart, the work that has been carried outso far along with parts that have been changes are as follows:-Lambda sensorsNew updated mapThrottle position sensor adjustedWhilst at dealers at 400 miles the bike had its first service to kill two birds with one stone and for around15 miles after whichit was fine afterhowever soonit resorted to it old ways, has anyonehad similar issues or can give a reason / solution to the problem, the bike will be back at the local Norton dealer as soon as possible but any advise or knowledge would be appreciated.CheersMalcolm

Cry

This is the section for the pre 961 Commando's, you will get a better response in the dedicated 961 section. 2 potential fixes, there is an adjustment for idle somewhere which seems to be set wrong by the factory, plus adding lambda bypasses can also help.

Your bikeis exhibiting the same symptoms as my first 961, which was a Mk 1 Sport. The cutting-out would occur during the first few miles of riding and was both annoying and dangerous in heavy traffic. I kept getting told, by the dealer, that the problem would go away after the engine was run-in and the first service completed...... It didn't!!!!

By coincidence, the symptoms mimicked a problem I had with the Boyer Ignition on my Atlas. On this bike, if the battery was a bit low, then an early morning ride with the lights on was too much for the electrical system and as soon as a rear brake was applied the engine cut out.

My 961 had the sidestand cutout changed, the speedometer replaced and a whole bundle of other service mods in its first year. The oil tank contents used to regularly migrate up to the air box which did not help with low speed running or fuel consumption.

At one service, the engineer very helpfully raised the idling speed to try and stop the cutting-out problem. This worked great until the engine was hot which then resulted in an idling speed of 1400rpm and lots of crunchy gear changing.

My first 961 spent more miles being ridden to dealers for repairs and servicing than for pleasure or commuting to work.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans