Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

New 1958 Nomad owner

Forums

Hello Norton Owners:

I am new to the NOC and would like to introduce myself.

I am a long time Brit bike owner living in the USA. My brother had been a Matchless dealer in the sixties so my energies have been directed towards Matchless and AJS models for some years. I do own a number of Hybrids one of which is an Atlas powered version.

I have just acquired a basket case Nomad project. Actually it is almost two basket Nomads, but it appears that one has a 1957 77 Motor.

I am missing a great many parts and it is going to be a challenging restoration.

From the little bit of reading I have done it would appear that the Nomad shares the same problems I have had with some of my other AMC machines, it was a US only export and production numbers are fairly low.

I will admit that I know very little about Nortons and especially Nomads. My brother helps with restorations and he is more knowledgeable than I as he currently has three P11s. However, he has never seen a Nomad before.

I would appreciate any advice and help that club members may be able to offer.

The frame and engine number on my bike is 79002 which I do believe correspond to 1958.

I am going to be on the hunt for parts as I am missing a great many. Among some of my first questions would be of the inter-changability between the Nomad and other models. For instance, I am lacking primary cases, but am thinking other models shared?

Sorry for such a lengthy first post.

Thank you!

[Attached is a picture of the project as acquired - Parts and pieces!

Oh my...]

Rick Taylor

Attachments dsc03811-jpg.jpg

Hi Rick, welcome to the message boards. Thats some project you've got there. Can't help you with your questions myself, but a quick search of these hallowed pages throws up some interesting discussions on the Nomad. I'm sure some more clued-up folk will be along soon.

Good luck!

Previously martin_rowe wrote:

Hi Rick, welcome to the message boards. Thats some project you've got there. Can't help you with your questions myself, but a quick search of these hallowed pages throws up some interesting discussions on the Nomad. I'm sure some more clued-up folk will be along soon.

Good luck!

Thanks Martin,

I am a little concerned about finding parts, but pretty excited about the project! I love the looks of this bike!

Rick

If I remeber correctly, a good source of information in the USA regarding the Nomad is Eugene Broland, he bought most of the magazines that mentioned Nomad though I have not heard or sold anything to him for a year or so now. He was NOC member so may be still about, so Eugene - are you still out there?

I still have some old magazine information of the time on the nomad and I believe a test done here in the UK on one of the first exports, If you want it I will e-mail it to you.

Yes, I am in contact with Eugene and am waiting to hear back from him.

I am also contact with another Nomad owner in Colorado that owns two bikes and had a nice phone visit with him. Was able to give me a little hope in finding parts!

Rick

Rick, a lot of parts are common with pre F/bed singles and twins of that time and so plenty of scope. I hope you have the engine plates because that seems to be a problem area with nobody making them.

If only we made Norton plates instead of Triton plates there would be a lot more Norton's on the road!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans