Skip to main content

Modern tyres v Dunlop TT100s

Forums

Hi, I am wondering if the new Dunlops with the TT100 grip pattern are as good as a more modren tread pattern? I have a 750 Commando and she is on 30 year old tyres, that's the last time she has seen the outside . It is almost done but for tyres and I'd like to keep it original.

keep safe out there

Mike

Depends if you want to ride it or look at it. Saying that, the latest TT100s will have a modern compound so should be good enough and the deep central groove in new ones does IMHO do much for the straight line stability of the Commando. Avon Roadriders are good but not sure if you can get them for the rear in 19" Has anybody tried Maxxis? they are cheap and may be quite good.

I used TT100s for years and then rode a Commando fitted with Roadriders. Two days later, I had a pair on order. I find their behaviour over white lines significantly better.

A lot depends on the year of the Commando. My1969 S Type came from the factory with a 3.00 x 19 Avon Speedmaster on the front and a 3.50 x 19 Avon Grand Prix on the rear. I managed to source a correct set of tyres in the UK, thanks Classic Motorcycle ads, and they work well. It all depends on just how correct you want to be. I DO ride the bike, not just look at it. BTW, shipping tyres from the UK to the US is not cheap.

I enjoyed having Avon Roadrunner Mk. 2 tyres on my Mk.III Commando but a while ago a kind friend gave me a part-worn rear TT 100. Obviously, the rear Roadrunner Mk 2 was the 110/90 18 inch size and when I came to fit the TT 100 I reverted to the 19 inch rear wheel set-up. The handling improved (although the rear Roadrunner was very worn) and I liked the height difference. The machine sat up nicely and didn't feel 'bogged-down' at the rear. Now that both 19 inch front Roadrunner and rear TT are totally worn out I would like to try the new Roadrider tyres but in the 19 inch rear size. The only one which is offered is 100/90 19 Universal. This looks on the skinny side and I feel that, under full touring load, the tyre would not be suitable due to the smaller load ceiling. I have experienced this before, when I tried a 100/90 in an 18 inch size and the flex of the tyre sidewalls was so great that the heat which was generated kept leading to punctures due to a patch disintegrating. This resulted in a very unpleasant experience in the middle of Stratford-on-Avon in which I suddenly found myself catapulted onto the pavement of the opposite side of the road at about 20 mph. My friend Ian, who was following me, later said that it looked very much like I had decided to kill a pedestrian but hadn't made up my mind which one I was aiming for. I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has used a 19 inch rear 100/90 Roadrider while fully loaded.

p.s. When I set out for last year's Begonia Rally the centre tread depth of the rear TT 100 was 1.6mm and it was the same when I reached home - about 600 miles later.

hi all, it must have been the thing [as my kids would say back in the] for norton to do odd tyres . my commando has 12756 miles only taxed once and that was only for three months by south coast customs the dealershipwho sold in cork here in ireland in july 1972. the rear is an avon speed master with a dunlop tt100 front, i have no reason to think they are not the original . i have had it since 1984 it was stored in1976 due to the original owner going to america and there she was until i found her. i have had alot of good form japan but i mad sure my norton was kicked over and well oiled and stored in my mothers heated utility room. so no it is time for her to come out of moth balls. thanks for all the comments but she is for riding so a modern compound tyer is the way to go

ride safe and as we said years ago keep away from cortina drivers

mike.

Used both, will fit another set of roadriders. Any problems, just check they are fitted correctly, I had one fitted 'professionaly' and was not fitted concentric and boy was it a job to seat correctly.

Previously wrote:

Used both, will fit another set of roadriders. Any problems, just check they are fitted correctly, I had one fitted 'professionaly' and was not fitted concentric and boy was it a job to seat correctly.

And don't forget that Roadriders come in every flavour: front, rear and universal. Check the direction of rotation carefully.

Ashley's comment is interesting as I had some considerable trouble fitting a Roadrider to the front of my Rotary with a cast alloy wheel. (18 inch). I think the smaller section front fitting 18 inch Roadriders are at the lower limit diameter wise. The same tyre is fitted to my alloy rimmed Commando with no fitting problems.

Previously wrote:

Ashley's comment is interesting as I had some considerable trouble fitting a Roadrider to the front of my Rotary with a cast alloy wheel. (18 inch). I think the smaller section front fitting 18 inch Roadriders are at the lower limit diameter wise. The same tyre is fitted to my alloy rimmed Commando witho fitting problems.

hi all, does any one know can if you get 110x19x90 h rating roadriders. i cant s seem to find that size any where

thanks mike.

I used the good old Avon SM on the back of my Mk 3 Interstate and an Avon Roadrunner on the front. You may spray your tea in horror, but the combination worked well, plenty of grip wet or dry (including scraping the footrests) and long lasting. I was commuting 90 miles a day at the time and didn't want to change tyres every 6 weeks. When I used TT100s on both ends, the inevitable flat that formed as the back tyre wore meant that it was very skittery on wet roundabouts as though the contact patch was a knife-edge - which it was where the flat bit of tread met the curved bit. I still use SMs on the back of my Altas engined 99. A much under rated tyre. I will retire to my shelter...

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans