Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Model Combat 1972 or 1973?

Forums

I would like to know if my norton combat is the first version (1972) or the second (1973) The frame number is 230191. I did not found it in "a guide to the Model No. and Year codes used by Norton". Somebody can you help me? Thanks

Then again, all 750s after 200.000 had the unhappy 72 type crankcase I am told that needs to be modified to work.

Previously wrote:

This frame number it is not a combat but 750 commando MK5.

Hi Francis,

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what it means, the engine of my comando is not Combat? Thanks for your answer.

Hi Antonio

According to Roy Bacon's book...

"Matters improved a good deal in 1973 for the final 745cc engines proved to be good ones".

My information is that 1973 started off with engine number 220000, so I'd agree with Francis that your bike is a Mk 5. As for the crankcase, I would bow to Joe's superior experience, however, I can tell you that I've not had too much problem with my bike's (pre-combat) engine (200191).

Peter

Peter,

You probably had few problems if you did not rev it over 4.500RPM for any length of time. If you do the oil disappears out of the breather. The then German importer rebuilt 400 engines in a year. The beasts all blew up on the autobahns.

I had the same phenomenon when I first tried to race a 200.000 series engine. Oiled the whole race track. Did not make me very popular with the other competitors at the time. After that meeting modified the crankcase, no problems since. That was about 15 years ago. We still race that bike.

ok -I have a question related to this. I am riding a combat 210xxx. bought it not too long ago.

She has 20K on the clock.

I made a couple of thousand miles. 6K+ RPM.

Do I take for granted the bearings have been upgraded or should I be careful there?

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans