Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Model 50 specifications for 1961

Forums

Greetings,

I have recently acquired a 1961 model 50. Factory records confirm this machine left the UK for Kuala Lumpur. Soas this was technically an "Export" model were there any specific options or "Upgrades?

She is pretty original but has thewrong seat, basically its NOT aSlimlineone. I am about to order a new seat from Leightonâs in the UK;have seen them in all black, all grey and black with a grey top. However what is correct and were they available inâTwo-Tone?

Any other 1961 specifications would be really helpful, I have manuals etc but they do NOT cover paint / cycle parts etc.

Thanks & regards Steve

Attachments img_3016-jpg

Hi Steve, Very nice bike, I have one, the same year but not in restored condition. I have attached a picture taken from I believe a 1961 brochure. Itâs not clear in the picture but I believe the seat should have a grey top and either dark grey or black sides. I donât think anything very important would have been different between a UK model 50 and export model 50. But I would be interested to hear if anyone out there knows for sure.Regards, Alan

Attachments norton_1961-07-jpg

I have found a picture of my bike that was takenaround 1964 you can just make out the seat is "two tone". The only other difference Ican see,is the rear damper cover tops were originally "dove grey".

Regards, Alan

Attachments 1964photo-jpg

Previously Alan Throssell wrote:

I have found a picture of my bike that was takenaround 1964 you can just make out the seat is "two tone". The only other difference Ican see,is the rear damper cover tops were originally "dove grey".

Regards, Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for prompt response, will discuss seat "Options" with Leighton's butlike the "Two-Tone" approach with grey top & black sides. Niceperiod picture of later model 50, especially the 'go-faster' checkered dove grey Girling's. I too have seen matching top spring covers in Dove Grey but as the paint on this is really good, after some TLC at the weekend, will see how she tuns before making any rash decisions!

Fortunately we still have available non-ethanol 98 octane BP âUltimateâ fuel here which I run all my bikes on.

Would you or anyone lese recommend changing the ignition timing from a âstockâ 38? BTDC for this modern fuel?

Thanks again.

Regards Steve

My 60 99 came with a two tone seat , medium grey sides ,cheqered top and white piping, R K Leighton did a very good replacement cover ,perfect.

Very nice bike, though not as exotic as the ultra-rare BMW R50S behind it.

I find 36 degrees full advance better nowadays to prevent pinking.

Cheers,

Niall

Previously Niall Topping wrote:

Very nice bike, though not as exotic as the ultra-rare BMW R50S behind it.

I find 36 degrees full advance better nowadays to prevent pinking.

Cheers,

Niall

G'day Niall, thanks for the timing tips, that photo was taken at the Bay to Birdwood event several years ago and I have been fortunate to acquire her recently, condition is the same. I am also a member of the local BMW club and there are a few real gems out there but not seen enough road time,. Anyway will post a current photo once the "Refresh" is completed. Hope to have her running tomorrow. One other question regarding air filters. There is some tin-ware in-between the oil tank and battery box with a hole punched in it. Looks suspiciously like this was done for an air cleaner but there is no way this is a straight feed to engage with the carburettor due to the inlet port offset! Current carburettor fitted is a Mk I concentric but may revert to a Monobloc. later A short bell mouth is fitted to the concentric but now very little space before you hit the oil tank. Some sort of filter is desireable, even a SS / brass fine wire mesh filter / bell mouth would stop the rocks but cannot seem to track one down.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks to all for your kind comments and technical response.

Rgds Steve

Steve,

The hole in the middle of the tinware was meant for an air filter, but on the single carb twins. Actually I have this tinware on my model 50 I made up from bits more than 15 years ago, it was all I could get at the time.

The Amal 626 26mmMk 1 with a 210 main jet works exceptionally well, perfect Champion N5c plug colour and carburration right through the range.

You can buy a short screw on meshedbelmouth from Amal. I put one on my ES2. Again, when I find it, I will give details of an Amalproto type thin air filter that will fit the model 50's original mono block and the later 626, which has the same thread.

Always good to hear about a model 50. Not fast but got everything else going for it. Neil.

Brilliant Neil, will order a filter and check what's inside the fitted carb, as just cleaning out the fuel tank (UGH!) and fitting a new fuel tap / filter.

As she has not run for a while, carb is coming to bits right now, so will check with your details supplied. Got plenty of faster bikes and as I don't need the speeding tickets, looking forward to getting this one going. Someone has already converted her to 12 V but many dodgy connections to re-terminate and double check all is good.

Thanks for your support and look forward to alternative air filter details.

Best regards Steve

The parts list that I have for '61/'62 Models ES2, 50, 88,99,650Std & DeLux shows a listing for an air cleaner p/n 18684 for All Singles.

I have, in the past, asked if anyone has ever seen one, has one, or has a photo, etc. but nothing has ever been forthcoming. I would have thought that it would have been a standard fitment for bikes going to the middle east and north africa.

Good luck

Mike

Good point Michael, did you ever see the air filter arrangements for the WD 16H for desert use?

I'll say again that I do have a proto type pancake air filter for the model 50 and once found will photograph it but it is basically a slim version of the more common ones.

If it is worth while I may have some made in stainless BUT I have to find it first. Been a while, I know...

Steve, sounds like you are down under: That being the case my advice to you is to use BP Ultimate. It was available when I was in NSW a while back and I believe still E0, so less corrosive elements to worry about in your fuel system. Or solvent to loosen years of grime into your Amal.

Hope to be in NZ early in 2015, I'll be checking on the Ethanol situation there.

Previously neil_wyatt wrote:

Good point Michael, did you ever see the air filter arrangements for the WD 16H for desert use?

I'll say again that I do have a proto type pancake air filter for the model 50 and once found will photograph it but it is basically a slim version of the more common ones.

If it is worth while I may have some made in stainless BUT I have to find it first. Been a while, I know...

Steve, sounds like you are down under: That being the case my advice to you is to use BP Ultimate. It was available when I was in NSW a while back and I believe still E0, so less corrosive elements to worry about in your fuel system. Or solvent to loosen years of grime into your Amal.

Hope to be in NZ early in 2015, I'll be checking on the Ethanol situation there.

Yes Neil you are correct; ex pats living in South Australia and again yes, I only use BP '98 Octane Ultimate' which is, at the moment, E-0. Sorry can't help you with what the score is in Kiwi-land....

Would certainly be interested if you were to make a suitable filter for the model 50. I have a 1940 WD 16 H to rebuild but that's a way off. The Volkes "On Tank Mounted" desert version air filter is a monster!

NowWhile âRefreshingâ this bike also found an additional number on front LHS engine casing.

Numbering is vertical top to bottom, C4825.

Does this mean anything?

It is NOT a casting mark, but stamped with letters and number stamps just like the engine number.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your responses!

Rgds Steve

G/day Steve,

There is a man called Rob in the Netherlands who knows everything (& I mean that) about WD 16H's.

The number you refer should be a contract number and will date the contract and who it was for. Rob will know this.

As said, when I do find my proto type filter I'll post on these pages to say and take it from there. The ideal situation would be for me to donate it to club spares and they make and distribute them but although they do a good job, if my experience over pre f/bed singles engine plates are anything to go by, a DIY job might be better..

http://www.wdnorton.nl/Contents_page.htm

That number C4825 is the Works engine No. and the 'C' denotes Coil ignition, I believe, I have an early 1959 motor with C30, I don't know whether any were built after the move, or if they were, if they had separate engine numbers anymore, the twins didn't.

Previously Niall Topping wrote:

That number C4825 is the Works engine No. and the 'C' denotes Coil ignition, I believe, I have an early 1959 motor with C30, I don't know whether any were built after the move, or if they were, if they had separate engine numbers anymore, the twins didn't.

Thanks Niall, I will order a full factory certificate.

Again thanks to all for your help.

Rgds Steve

Hi Neil, just stripped the 626 for a 'service' and found a much larger main jet, fitted (250). So will purchase a few smaller to 'dial-in' this one correctly. Indeed 210 is correct for a Monobloc / Concentric; needle jet is a 106, slide is a #3. Will check the needle type tonight. Just fitted a new 'stay-up' float kit , filter gaskets etc and Viton needle after removing a lot of crap!

Thanks again for yourassistance..

Rgds Steve

Monoblocs run weaker than concentrics, I use 200 on my 626 with an open intake, 190 with a filter on, I live more or less at Sea Level.

I use an Amal 'Caketin' filter off a mid 60s BSA/Triumph, cheap and readily available, but I had to radically modify the oil tank to get it in.

Attachments littlenorton001-jpg

Nice one Niall, not that much between a 200 and 210 but as many a carb expert (Not me) will tell you is that no two bikes are the same.

My 626 is currently open and I couldn't wish for better running and plug colour (Champion N5c) than what I have. When I find this slim filter, like yours but designed to fit in the gap, I'll need to look again at the main jet.

Therefore, Steve may want to try a 200 and a 210. When I fitted the short mesh to my 928 (ES2) I found the carburration was unaffected to the point of needing adjustment. But these are just to keep the rocks out and better than nothing.

Thanks gentlemen,

I have fitted a 200 main jet and have ordered a couple of others to give some options. Should be running at the weekend and we will see. I have used a Gunsons colour tune for years with success and will check mixturewith that.

Back to the workshop!

Rgds Steve

Hi Alan,

May I know what is the chrome lining in the centre of the tank?

Is that original from factory or it is something else?

Thanks

Previously Alan Throssell wrote:

Regards, Alan

Hi, I think it's just a white stripe of tape down the centre of the tank to give it the look of a wide line tankstrap,like most cafe racers would have had in the 60's. Not original Norton, but put on by the previous owner.

Regards, Alan

Previously sundarraju_sivaraja wrote:

Hi Alan,

May I know what is the chrome lining in the centre of the tank?

Is that original from factory or it is something else?

Thanks

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans