Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Mk111 rear sprocket 'wobble.'

Forums

I'm recommissioning a Mk111, and I've just replaced the rear wheel bearings (3), oil seals etc.

Having refitted the wheel, tightened the spindle and sprocket 'dummy axle' nut, the wheel spins fine but there is play between the sprocket and the wheel hub.

Is this normal? I would have expected that tightening the spindle would bring the sprocket tight up to the cush drive (allowing for some radial movement, of course) but it also 'wobbles.'

All the spacers etc are in the right position. I have even tried putting an extra-thick spacer behind the head of the spindle, because I thought that perhaps the spindle thread was bottoming-outin the 'dummy axle' before everything was tight, but this made no difference.

I may well be missing the obvious, butsome advice would be very welcome!

Allan.

Previously wrote:

I'm recommissioning a Mk111, and I've just replaced the rear wheel bearings (3), oil seals etc.

Having refitted the wheel, tightened the spindle and sprocket 'dummy axle' nut, the wheel spins fine but there is play between the sprocket and the wheel hub.

Is this normal? I would have expected that tightening the spindle would bring the sprocket tight up to the cush drive (allowing for some radial movement, of course) but it also 'wobbles.'

All the spacers etc are in the right position. I have even tried putting an extra-thick spacer behind the head of the spindle, because I thought that perhaps the spindle thread was bottoming-outin the 'dummy axle' before everything was tight, but this made no difference.

Allan.

Alright Alan, I would have thought that the only way the sprocket could wobble would be if the bearing was knackered or wrong size. Where did you get it from? It should be a double row ball race I think. Also the sprocket should have only minimal play even when only secured by the dummy spindle. Hope this helps, Simon.

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Allan.

Alright Alan, I would have thought that the only way the sprocket could wobble would be if the bearing was knackered or wrong size. Where did you get it from? It should be a double row ball race I think. Also the sprocket should have only minimal play even when only secured by the dummy spindle. Hope this helps, Simon.

Hi Simon. Thanks for the input. I replaced the sprocket bearing (again) and the side-to-side play is now very slight - certainly only what you would expect allowing for clearance within the bearing components.

It would seem that the first bearing was a dud! I think that I'm happy with the setup now. My original concerns were based on the amount of 'wobble' present, and an (incorrect) assumption that the sprocket would be hard against the cush drive when both ends of the spindle were tightened (and if it had been then any bearing wear in the rear sprocket would not be seen anyway.)

It looks like this problem is sorted. Now there's just the rear brake to make operational and 'wake-up' the engine from its slumber!

Allan.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans