Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Mk1 850 seat

Forums

Hi All,

Would a 850 Mk1 roadster seat fit my 850 Mk2?

Cheers

Paul

With the exception of the hinged Mk3 850 seat, any Commando Roadster seat will fit any frame. 

Thanks Richard, that's what I thought. I was looking at getting from ebay(classic bike parts), it says it's for a Mk1 850, I asked them if it'll fit a Mk2a & they said that their manufacturer says it's Mk1 only.

Cheers

Paul

The main difference from year to year, apart from the change from fibreglass to steel bases was the cover. The Mk1 850 shared a sort of quilted airtex cover with the last of the 750s and the Mk2s had a trendier,  more Japanese quilted style. I quite like the earlier type to ride on, but it's personal choice. The most important thing is the quality of the foam. Andover seem to have got that right...Cheap sponge foam is a nightmare as the base is not far below at the front....I'm not sure that I'd buy anything as critical to ride enjoyment as a saddle via eBay.

Comments much appreciated Richard. However, a saving of around £70 is not to be sniffed at!

A.N. didn't have any in when I spoke to them last week, they'd had 1 made but it wasn't quite up to spec, these will be £200 + VAT.

I'll have a good look at my mates roadster Mk3, I know it's not the same fitting but, I should be able to get an idea of the comfort etc.

Cheers mate

Paul

I fitted Craven panniers to my Mk3 to go the first International Czech Rally. When would that have been ? Early nineties ? With the panniers fitted, the hinged seat didn't work and a 2000 mile round trip without being able to check the oil level didn't seem like a good idea so I quickly bought a pattern Mk 2 saddle...It was purgatory. I did long days, with the first stint through Germany requiring seven fill-ups on the Roadster.  I threw the saddle away when I got back. Czech

Thanks Richard.

My long distance travelling is no more(on a bike) unfortunately.

Thanks for all your help

Paul

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans