Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Mk 111 Commando rear wheel fitting problems

Forums

Hi again,

Well, after removing the rear wheel to fit a new brake disc I tried to put the wheel back on , everything was lined up nicely, rear brake fitted snugly but when tightening the axle bolt there was a gap between the wheel hub and the plate it fits to, tried it a few times but always get the same result.

Please help.

A very frustrated Jake.

Previously wrote:

Hi again,

Well, after removing the rear wheel to fit a new brake disc I tried to put the wheel back on , everything was lined up nicely, rear brake fitted snugly but when tightening the axle bolt there was a gap between the wheel hub and the plate it fits to, tried it a few times but always get the same result.

Please help.

A very frustrated Jake.

If you mean the gap between the sprocket and hub, then I think they're all like that to some degree. As long as there is no lateral play in the assembly, then that's as it came out of the factory,

Simon.

There has to be a gap between the rear face of the sprocket flange and the hub. If the paddles on the sprocket are correctly engaged in the cush drive spider then there is not a lot that can go wrong. However, I have seen spiders with score marks on (my Mk3 came with one !) so it is apparently possible to get everything together and ride the thing without the paddles being engaged.

What sort of gap do you have ? I've just measured mine at about 1/16" - If you have 1/4" or so then your cush is not correctly engaged and you need to release everything and then turn the wheel slightly until it all slots in.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans