Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Ignition key - 1972 MkIV Roadster

Forums

Where did Norton put this "gadget" on a 1972 Roadster? My newly acquired Commando has a serious bodge in this area, involving some duct tape and electrical strips, I will spare you the exact details.

Hi Tom,

The Ignition Switch is normally fitted into a bracket on the L/H side of the Air Filter, the bracket itself is fastened to the backplate of the Air Filter Housing the length of which extends to the front of the Air Filter Housing where there is a hole into which the Ignition Switch fits. The Igntion Switch should also have a two piece shroud to protect the wiring connectors.

On some bikes the Igntion Switchis fitted into the top L/H corner of the L/H Side Panel, although these are less common.

Tom,

Early Roadsters had the ignition barrel fitted in the front corner of the left sidepanel, with the key sticking in your left leg. By 1972 this had been changed, to a position next to the left carb, facing foward on a bracket which fitted onto the frame. All this sort of info is available from Roy Bacon or Mathew Vale books, and from personal experience, the correct parts book is a Godsend !

Good luck Hans Taylor.

Thanks both of you. This explains why my bike has a bodge here! It is fitted with an SU carburettor, which does not allow the ignition switch to be attached to the airfilter and it hasnt got the side panel with a hole either. Sounds like I'm in for a little metalwork here, shaping some sort of bracket to fit into that area, or maybe even go crazy and fit it to the handlebars or fork yoke, where ideally it should be!

Further to this, can anybody tell me if the side panel with a hole in the uppper cornerfor the iginition key will fit the 1972 frame? And more importantly is it the same shape? I could of course takethe short and dirty route and cut a hole in my present panel, but the thought of making a hole in a perfect surface (excellent paint job!) hurts a bit!

Tom,

At the risk of being shot down in flames, I would say that 'they look the same, and I cant see why it would'nt fit a '72 frame'. Do you have the Dzus fatener on a bracket set-up on your side panel ? Suggest phoning someone like Hemmings or Russell motors.

Cheers HT

Tom - if you want the air filter backplate/ignition switchbracket parts off my '72 you're welcome to them. Cheers - Neil

Previously wrote:

Tom - if you want the air filter backplate/ignition switchbracket parts off my '72 you're welcome to them. Cheers - Neil

That would be great, just let me know the cost + postage. You can email me directly: tommot@matchless.dk

Tom

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans