Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Correct speedo for 1961 Dominator 99

Forums

Can any owner of a 1961 Dominator 88/99with the original speedometerdo me a favour?

I have just fitted a 'pre-owned' Smiths speedo with the number 'SC 3305/17 1620'. I am interested if it is the correct configuration, the listing supplied by Roland Grossbichler in another string is 'SC 3303/17' as the correct instrument. My belief is that my speedo originally came from a BSA Road Rocket!

My speedo is a 120MPH unit with the 0mph and 120mph at thebottom. Some I have found on the internet have the 0/120 at thetopand I have not been able to decode the Smiths numbering system!!?

The instrument looks great and in keeping with the year of the bike, but I would like to know how close it is to the original!

Of course there is no guarantee that the face of the speedo is the correct one for the mechanism. I have been caught out that way. The 1620 is revs per mile - should be correct for a Domi. I once fitted a chronometric speedo which had 1620 on the face - but the internal gearing was clearly for a Triumph. Speedo readings were way out - but approximated to kmph. Handy if I was intending to go abroad I suppose...

The orrig speedo starts at around the 1 o'clock and is marked to 120 at the 11 o'clock position with a white line at 30.

The speedo on my bike that I believe to be original is SC3303/17 1548

The part number in my parts list shows that the speedo for all models 50, ES2, 88, and 99 is the same as : 19364

If your rim and tire size is stock at 3.50X19 then the model above should be correct for your bike.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans