Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Confused 1966 650SS carbs

Forums

Hi everyone :)

was reading the history pages

and noticed

"1966

Left and right handed Amal Monoblocs were fitted, so allowing easier adjustments to the right unit."

on the heavy twins page and the year model history

next question is is this a typo if not what model amal's were they?

trying to get my 650ss close to as it should be being a 1966.

Only ever seen a l/h and a chopped l/h 376 so really curious now :)

Many Thanks in advance,

Tom

Previously wrote:

Hi everyone :)

was reading the history pages

and noticed

"1966

Left and right handed Amal Monoblocs were fitted, so allowing easier adjustments to the right unit."

on the heavy twins page and the year model history

next question is is this a typo if not what model amal's were they?

trying to get my 650ss close to as it should be being a 1966.

Only ever seen a l/h and a chopped l/h 376 so really curious now :)

Many Thanks in advance,

Tom

Hello Tom Well The Carburetters You Need ARE Amal 376/317 and 376/318 fitted to Norton 650SS from 1965 to late 1966 from September of 1966 they changed them For MK1 Concentric Amal R930/17and L930/18 And this is the Information out of My Amal Book Yours Anna J Dixon

As I said elsewhere on this forum, the Amal book is a mine of information and it's FREE! Always a good price :) Monoblocs were first produced single handed, with the float chamber on the left (looking from the back to the manifold end), then they brought out a 'chopped' version so that two could be fitted side-by-side, without needing a new inlet manifold on many bikes. I think it was later that they brought out left and right-handed versions. Just to confuse the issue, Concentrics are also handed! The main difference with them is the location of the tickler, so you can pick which hand suits you if converting a bike from Monobloc.

Cheers, Lionel

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans