Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Concours for 1959 '99'?

Forums

I know very little about what constitutes 'concours' standards but assume it must have the bike looking like it did ex-works. After rotting away for 37 years in the garden andin a leaky shed, I decided the only way to go with my restoration was UP! So -no visible stainless steel and keep all external parts looking as it did when new. What about electrics? I was intending to keep the 6Vsystem andthe coil ignition (I do have a K2F magneto though!) but use halogen/LED bulbs for actual road work and originals for showing - if I ever get to that! I'll probably buy a new alternator even though the old one looks OK - not tested yet! Would I get away with converting to 12V?

Iintend torefurb the originalMonobloc by having it resleeved with new slide and full service kit - it's in good condition anyway. Mine's a chrome, black and silver model (In 1965 John Hudson told me it left the factory as a "99 Special" - i.e. 2 chocolate flakes!). It was black with chrome mudguards, silver tank, large inlet valves, twin carbs, HC pistons and only one owner before me! (Not counting Taylor Matterson as that was in the days when dealers had to register their name in the Logbook). By the time I bought it from Pride & Clarke for £59.10s in 1965, it had been run into the ground! Externally it was a mess with rotten silencers - one having a massive hole - and decayed seat covering. When I got it home (by steam train!) and stripped it down I found the piston on the side with the bad silencer had started to melt, one plug hole had been Helicoiled, the drive side main bearing had turned in its housing, one exhaust thread was badly cross-threaded, the barrel had been bored out to +.030" after less than 14,000 miles etc. etc.! Plus rusty chromework that needed replating and chipped paint that I eventually resprayed. Luckily the barrel was OK and just needed new pistons. I'll go into the rest another time if anyone's interested. Being only 19 at the time I was a bit of a "chancer" so I got by with a lot of original parts (not the silencers of course!)and just a botch up!

Previously wrote:

I know very little about what constitutes 'concours' standards but assume it must have the bike looking like it did ex-works. After rotting away for 37 years in the garden andin a leaky shed, I decided the only way to go with my restoration was UP! So -no visible stainless steel and keep all external parts looking as it did when new. What about electrics? I was intending to keep the 6Vsystem andthe coil ignition (I do have a K2F magneto though!) but use halogen/LED bulbs for actual road work and originals for showing - if I ever get to that! I'll probably buy a new alternator even though the old one looks OK - not tested yet! Would I get away with converting to 12V?

Iintend torefurb the originalMonobloc by having it resleeved with new slide and full service kit - it's in good condition anyway. Mine's a chrome, black and silver model (In 1965 John Hudson told me it left the factory as a "99 Special" - i.e. 2 chocolate flakes!). It was black with chrome mudguards, silver tank, large inlet valves, twin carbs, HC pistons and only one owner before me! (Not counting Taylor Matterson as that was in the days when dealers had to register their name in the Logbook). By the time I bought it from Pride & Clarke for £59.10s in 1965, it had been run into the ground! Externally it was a mess with rotten silencers - one having a massive hole - and decayed seat covering. When I got it home (by steam train!) and stripped it down I found the piston on the side with the bad silencer had started to melt, one plug hole had been Helicoiled, the drive side main bearing had turned in its housing, one exhaust thread was badly cross-threaded, the barrel had been bored out to +.030" after less than 14,000 miles etc. etc.! Plus rusty chromework that needed replating and chipped paint that I eventually resprayed. Luckily the barrel was OK and just needed new pistons. I'll go into the rest another time if anyone's interested. Being only 19 at the time I was a bit of a "chancer" so I got by with a lot of original parts (not the silencers of course!)and just a botch up!

my brother had a 1959 '88' he worked in the pressed steel fisher company , car body suppliers to the austin morris factory,his wage was good,the bike was around 60£'s worth too, i was on 6 pounds a week improver mechanic wages , Temples of Park End Steet Oxford the employer, my mount a '56 t100 , cost 15 £, how i loved lusted and begged for a domminator, borrowed it one day and cranked right over on the edge of an SM safety milage spun it in the dry on pressed steel roundabout and squashed the brand new aftermarket megga flat trying to make as much noise as possible, it was a week old, had to beg a siamese system and silencer off a mate and told brother the baffles fell out of the megga and a lorry squashed it flat , hence the siamese... he bought it ... or i probably wouldn't be here to tell the tale , i was 17 , and a nutter. but it was fun

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans