Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Commando 850 Mk1a clocks

Forums

Hi all,

I have a 1974 Mk1a and was wondering aboutthe speedo and tacho and if they are original to the bike. Reading Roy Bacon's restoration guide, it seems like they changedthe clocks as often as they had hot dinners, but if I can confirm that these are the originals, I would be content..

Anyway, the bike is a 1974 850 Mk1a, the Tacho is a Smiths (green circle) 4:1 ratio with a fairly fine needle and the Speedo is aVeglia unit with trip (non green circle) with a slightly fatter needle. I have had the bikesince 1987 and nothing has been changed since.

Could someone possibly put me out of my misery?

Thanks in advance..

I've got a Mk 1A 850 (left factory Sept '73) with the original clocks - still working and never been changed.

Both have the large green circle at thelower part of the dialand both have the "Norton" logo right in the middle. In very small lettering they have "Made in France" at the very bottom of the dial on the left and on the right are the part numbers : 09190919900 for the speedo and 09200909900 for the tacho.

Veglia is or was a French company and most probably the makers of the original clocks on my Mk 1A. I've got a feeling Smiths were bought by Veglia sometime back in the late '70s , but can't swear to it.

I've also got a '76 Mk 3 850 that had Smiths clocks on it when I first bought it very second handfrom the Kenya police in 1983. Over the years I've changed both the clocks on this bike a few times as they packed upand have variously been supplied with Veglia clocks some with the"NVT" logo and some without.

Hope this helps rather than further confuse !

Following on with the story , from your description you probably have an originaltacho and a later replacement speedo. The original clocks would have had identical faces withsame size needles -your Vegliaspeedo without green dot and fatter needle is a later type.

I would guess your bike had Smiths clocks originally , but as you point out Nortons seemed to use both Smiths and Veglias - which I understand became all one company anyway a few years later.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans