Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Commando 850 front tyre

Forums

hi, i am in need of a new front tyre on my machine. it currently has an avon roadrunner on the rear and i am about to purchase and fit the same make to the front. as i have had no previous experience of commando's is this the best option for my machine as i have one on the rear, thanks

Back when these bikes were new, Norton fitted Dunlop TT100 4.10 X 19 front and rear. I know because I bought a new 850 MkIII Interstate. I replaced tyres with 4.10 x 19 Avon Roadrunners which worked very well. I always used to replace the rear tyre, which wore out first, with the one off the front and fitted a new one to the front.

I think Avon Roadrunners have changed since the 1970s, and might even now be specified for front or rear use. I have a feeling that the original style might now be called a "Classic" Roadrunner.

Hi Paul,

I wouldstronglyrecommendgoingto a 3.50 x 19 as fitted on theearlierCommando's .

I have a 1977 850MkIII which had a 4.10 x 19 for the first 32 years of it's life, changing to the 3.50 x 19 really improved the handling and completely removed the Commando head shake when riding no hands. I can now go from 80ish to almost stopped with hands off and steering with the knees.

I use theAvon Roadrider AM26 (front)90/90-19 52V.

I also have a matching 4.10 x 19 on the rear.

Regards

Tony

Not so, Tony. I have an early Commando, a 1969 S Type, and it tells me in the manual that the correct front tyre is a 3.00 x 19 Avon Speedmaster, and the correct Rear is a 3.50 x 19 Avon GP. It took some trouble to track down these tyres, and shipping to the 'States cost a lot.

A 3.60 x 19 on the front will improve handling, but stops fitting front to rear when rear wears out as explained in my post. I was cheap at the time, and wanted the most mileage from my tyres.

Colin.

Previously wrote:

Hi Paul,

Previously wrote:

hi, i am in need of a new front tyre on my machine. it currently has an avon roadrunner on the rear and i am about to purchase and fit the same make to the front. as i have had no previous experience of commando's is this the best option for my machine as i have one on the rear, thanks

thanks for the replies so far.

i think i need to be more specific, my rear tyre is a universal roadrunner AM94.10 H19 which i think is the classic which has been mentioned by colin

is this tyre ok on the frontor would i be better with a roadrunner AM20 on the front.

thanks chaps, swift replies would be appreciated as i was hoping to pick up a tyre at the stafford show tomorrow, but unsure what's bestto get

Look at the Avon motorcycle tyre website and get the roadrider. They are good tyres, but can be a real pig to get concentric on the wheel, worth the effort and ride the road imperfections very well.

Previously wrote:

Not so, Tony. I have an early Commando, a 1969 S Type, and it tells me in the manual that the correct front tyre is a 3.00 x 19 Avon Speedmaster, and the correct Rear is a 3.50 x 19 Avon GP. It took some trouble to track down these tyres, and shipping to the 'States cost a lot.

A 3.60 x 19 on the front will improve handling, but stops fitting front to rear when rear wears out as explained in my post. I was cheap at the time, and wanted the most mileage from my tyres.

Colin.

Previously wrote:

Hi Paul,

Hi Colin,

OK Sorry, I should have said 'earlier than my 850MkIII'.

Tony

Previously wrote:

Colin.

Previously wrote:

Hi Paul,

Hi Colin,

Sorry, I should have said 'Earlier than my Commando 850MkIII@

Tony

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans