Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Clicking noise - 1972 750 Roadster

Forums

Its time for the noise doctor to step in! I have had my Commando for about 5 months and within this period a clicking noise from the engine, around the cylinders, has grown slightly stronger and stronger. It sounds as if its a light and small component emitting this noise. I can only hear it at steadylow rpms and without any pull on the drive train.

I have of course adjusted the valve clearances a couple of times, but that doesn't seem to change anything. My next suspiscion would be the cam followers. Does this sound plausible? Any experiences any ideas would be most welcome.

Previously wrote:

Its time for the noise doctor to step in! I have had my Commando for about 5 months and within this period a clicking noise from the engine, around the cylinders, has grown slightly stronger and stronger. It sounds as if its a light and small component emitting this noise. I can only hear it at steadylow rpms and without any pull on the drive train.

I have of course adjusted the valve clearances a couple of times, but that doesn't seem to change anything. My next suspiscion would be the cam followers. Does this sound plausible? Any experiences any ideas would be most welcome.

Hello Yes I have had the same thing on my 650 manxman and it turned out to be the push rods attacking one a other try draining the oil and remove the sump plug and see if there any bits of metal in there if you see bits of alloy that bits of push rod , the only other thing it that it can be is the shall end bush in any case you will have to remove the top end and have a look and see whats going on in there ! Hope this may help !

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Hello Yes I have had the same thing on my 650 manxman and it turned out to be the push rods attacking one a other try draining the oil and remove the sump plug and see if there any bits of metal in there if you see bits of alloy that bits of push rod , the only other thing it that it can be is the shall end bush in any case you will have to remove the top end and have a look and see whats going on in there ! Hope this may help !

Thanks and you're right, I'll probably have to takethe head off and have a peek inside. The sump plug is an easy check, so that'll be the first to try!

Tappets usually make more of a clatter. A loose push-rod cap can make a ticking or clicking noise.

I don't think that it can go anywhere but it does indeed mean the head off to rectify.

Ihad a tapping noise on my 1968 Commandosome years ago and could not trace the source. Then the top came off one of the original slotted pistons - it made a real mess!

Unlikely that your engine has the old style pistons butworth checking if you dont know the history of the engine and have the barrel off.

Previously wrote:

Ihad a tapping noise on my 1968 Commandosome years ago and could not trace the source. Then the top came off one of the original slotted pistons - it made a real mess!

Unlikely that your engine has the old style pistons butworth checking if you dont know the history of the engine and have the barrel off.

Right, I'll start with the easy checks first and then work my way into the engine and see what comes to light. The noise is more noticable when the engine has warmed up, but I guess nothing can be concluded from this.

I'll have another go.

If your carbs are worn (MK1 Concentrics) the slides may well tap at low rpm where the slides are almost unsupported, as the slides are raised, they are supported better (Come on you slides) and the rattling reduces. Sounds a bit like small end rattle. If you can remove the air filter, try running it and lightly pressing on the slides from the top of the inlet aperture so as not to block the intake.

My bike is fitted with an SU carburettor, but it also has a slide just operated differently, so another one for the check list.

Previously wrote:

Hi, have you got valve stem caps fitted, `cause I had them on my Commando and one of the caps split leaving a little disc of steel tinkling around the valve spring area ? Very trying.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans