Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Atlas tank sticker and clutch with 230 holes......

Forums

Giday, I'm new to this organisation, so I hope not covering old ground but here goes.....I have a 1968 (as far as I can tell by the numbers) Atlas which came to me with alloy engine plates, old rearsets, a sticker on the tank that says I.O.M.T.T. races then June 8th 10 th 12th 14th 1968 and features crossed IOM and chequered flags, and a clutch that has 230 odd holes drilled in it . I'm not sure this is how they came standard. Can anyone shed some light on this? The holes all appear to be radiused, some are through, some areblind. It also has axial holes through some of the engine mountingbolts, and is fitted with a magneto which I understand is unusual in a bikewhich has an engine/frame number in the last 600 or so of Atlas production. I'll send some photos when I figure out how. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave, Bathurst, Australia

Someone has played the go-faster game with your Atlas. The clutch doesn't come with holes as standard. Someone has spent a lot of time with a drill on yours. Similarly with the engine mounting bolts. The tank sticker is also a non-standard if rather evocative item. The alloy engine plates are also non-standard. Of course, Bathurst is, if I'm not mistaken, go-faster territory so it should feel at home there! Gordon

That sticker/transfer would be a souvenir sold on the Isle of Man in 1968. Visitors who went to the TT that year would buy these to put on their bikes.

Thank you both Gordon and Colin, I sort of hoped it was something from that era. I ll try to get a clutch photo up directly

Dave

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans