Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Assistance with 1964 650SS restoration

Forums
@font-face { font-family: "Times";}@font-face { font-family: "Verdana";}@font-face { font-family: "Cambria";}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

I am putting my 1964 650SS back together, a fullground up restoration and need some help. The steering head is back togetherand have fitted new bearings (now Taper Roller) and bottom triple tree with âasnewâ shrouds. Iblasted my shrouds back to clean steel prior to zinc & powder coat and no rivetholes could be found. I looked and looked thinking they might have been filledbut no! I need the correct placement or dimensions of precisely where theâRoadholderâ brass plates should be, as I have to drill and quick rivet the newplate onto the shrouds. Can anyone assist?

Also from my ancient 1964 parts book, the explodeddiagrams are very poor and appear incomplete. Does anyone have later or clearercomplete parts diagrams in an electronic format they could share? Thanks,Steve.

hello the place for your roadholder badgies 1/2 up from the bottomof the headlamp brackets thats why you have not found the holes in you shrouds. and powder coating is not the best way of restoring a norton motorcycles Did Pumstead uses powercoating ? well NO ? the paint was oven baked thats why is lasted 50 years or so ? you need to see somone how knows the automotive paint work inside out ? and they will tell you that powercoating is not the way forward ? yours anna j

On a lot of later Dominators put out by the AMC factory like yours, they did not put the riveted tags on the front forks, they had a decal instead, that is why there would be no holes for rivets on your bike...

Thanks for the responses. Now there seems to be many different variations, so I did some further research, see enclosed. Unfortunately I purchased this bike basically in boxes; so I spent the last few years rebuilding the parts inventory to restore the machine to the best PRACTICAL standard with little compromise. This restoration, like my up & coming 1940 WD 16H, is not really for me, but for a future generation of Norton owners. Means the bike(s) must be reliable & will be used regularly. As for comments regarding paint finish from the Norton Police and please do not take this personally Anna! (For the record, my mum was born in Leeds!!) This was never going to be 'Konkers' standard, burnt my Anorak years ago! Also there are NO stove enamellers or Cadmium platers here in Adelaide any more, like Plumbstead, all gone. Its basically 2-Pack or Powder Coat, but I did get my recovered fasteners Cad plated before the metal finishers were moved inter-state; so that finish is spot on. My powder coater is excellent, uses Dulux product, blasts, Zinc Phosphate pasavation and enamels to Military standard. As some parts, including the frame, had some pitting, this has planarised the surface. This finish provides excellent corrosion resistance, is more durable than 2-Pack and looks great. Again many thanks for the advice and as I have brand new Roadholder plates, they will be riveted 1/2" up from the bottom of the H/Lamp bracket!Now still need drawings / exploded diagram or a parts list better than my 1964 documents. Any close up photos to steering stop area and any other contentious or 'difficult' assembly areas would be great. As always your professional assistance and constructive criticisim is highly regarded!Attachments 1961_99SS_1967Atlas.jpg

Previously wrote:

Thanks for the responses. Now there seems to be many different variations, so I did some further research, see enclosed. Unfortunately I purchased this bike basically in boxes; so I spent the last few years rebuilding the parts inventory to restore the machine to the best PRACTICAL standard with little compromise. This restoration, like my up & coming 1940 WD 16H, is not really for me, but for a future generation of Norton owners. Means the bike(s) must be reliable & will be used regularly. As for comments regarding paint finish from the Norton Police and please do not take this personally Anna! (For the record, my mum was born in Leeds!!) This was never going to be 'Konkers' standard, burnt my Anorak years ago! Also there are NO stove enamellers or Cadmium platers here in Adelaide any more, like Plumbstead, all gone. Its basically 2-Pack or Powder Coat, but I did get my recovered fasteners Cad plated before the metal finishers were moved inter-state; so that finish is spot on. My powder coater is excellent, uses Dulux product, blasts, Zinc Phosphate pasavation and enamels to Military standard. As some parts, including the frame, had some pitting, this has planarised the surface. This finish provides excellent corrosion resistance, is more durable than 2-Pack and looks great. Again many thanks for the advice and as I have brand new Roadholder plates, they will be riveted 1/2" up from the bottom of the H/Lamp bracket!Now still need drawings / exploded diagram or a parts list better than my 1964 documents. Any close up photos to steering stop area and any other contentious or 'difficult' assembly areas would be great. As always your professional assistance and constructive criticisim is highly regarded! Hello Its the Norton Police again When you come to Wiring up your bike you will have too scrap off some off that nice powder coating too get a good earth ?? other wise you will not have some nice shiny lights ?

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Thanks for the responses. Now there seems to be many different variations, so I did some further research, see enclosed. Unfortunately I purchased this bike basically in boxes; so I spent the last few years rebuilding the parts inventory to restore the machine to the best PRACTICAL standard with little compromise. This restoration, like my up & coming 1940 WD 16H, is not really for me, but for a future generation of Norton owners. Means the bike(s) must be reliable & will be used regularly. As for comments regarding paint finish from the Norton Police and please do not take this personally Anna! (For the record, my mum was born in Leeds!!) This was never going to be 'Konkers' standard, burnt my Anorak years ago! Also there are NO stove enamellers or Cadmium platers here in Adelaide any more, like Plumbstead, all gone. Its basically 2-Pack or Powder Coat, but I did get my recovered fasteners Cad plated before the metal finishers were moved inter-state; so that finish is spot on. My powder coater is excellent, uses Dulux product, blasts, Zinc Phosphate pasavation and enamels to Military standard. As some parts, including the frame, had some pitting, this has planarised the surface. This finish provides excellent corrosion resistance, is more durable than 2-Pack and looks great. Again many thanks for the advice and as I have brand new Roadholder plates, they will be riveted 1/2" up from the bottom of the H/Lamp bracket!Now still need drawings / exploded diagram or a parts list better than my 1964 documents. Any close up photos to steering stop area and any other contentious or 'difficult' assembly areas would be great. As always your professional assistance and constructive criticisim is highly regarded! Hello Its the Norton Police again When you come to Wiring up your bike you will have too scrap off some off that nice powder coating too get a good earth ?? other wise you will not have some nice shiny lights ?
Thanks again Superintendent Anna, yup we have this noted, placed on workshop white board 'to do list' as well! Have a special technique for this with a Dremel, been there before! Will keep you posted on restoration, as summer is coming now for us, thanks for all your inputs all correspondence gratefully received. Rgds Steve

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Thanks again Superintendent Anna, yup we have this noted, placed on workshop white board 'to do list' as well! Have a special technique for this with a Dremel, been there before! Will keep you posted on restoration, as summer is coming now for us, thanks for all your inputs all correspondence gratefully received. Rgds Steve

hello steve, I hope Your bike turns out nice and Shiny ,And You Love Riding It Too and Please Note At A good Engine should be looked after and The running In time is a 1000 miles , and try not to go over 50mph in that time , so look after you bike, And It will look after you ?After all That Do Not Make Motorcycles Like These any More ?it maybe nearly 50 years old but with someone who looks after there machine it will last them life time? And I wish you meany Happy Days Out Riding , All the Best From The Norton Police ?AJD

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans