Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

850 MkIII ES primary drive centres

Forums

Hi,

I've been chasing a oil leak from the primary cases on my '75 850 ES for a while. I'm pretty sure it's not the outer/inner joint as the leak only happens after a run, especially if it's used in aspirited fashion. I'm using ATF in the cases and no obvious contamination from engine oil is visible, indicating it's not breathing into the cases and pumping oil out.

I've previously replaced the output shaft seal (behind the clutch) which fixed the problem briefly.But its become embarrasingly incontinent again. Gearchange shaft seal and alternator grommets also replaced as other potential oil exit points.

I'vegot the primary side stripped down once more and, on inspection, it would appear that the output shaft seal is not concentric to the shaft it's supposed to be sealing on. Measuring the gap around the chaincase apperture gives an 'off centredness' of around 0.030" - the gearboxmailshaft/output shaft appear to be too close to the crankshaft. While thirty thou is not a lot for a chain drive its enough to ruin the seal is short order.

Measuring across the shafts as accurately as possible gives centres of 9.215" which to my mind indicates it was intended to be 9.250 - about thirty thou different.

With the E-Start versions having a non adjustable gearbox and there being virtually no clearance in the gearbox mounting studs to use up, what options are there to get the gearbox back on centre?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Alright Mark, it seems either the gearbox top mounting has been drilled out of position or it's the cradle gearbox mounting holes. Simplest option would be todrill and reamthe gearbox top mount oversize and then insert acentre less dowel offset by the required amount, you could go the whole hog and drill and tap each end of the dowel, turn up a pair of top hat bushes and then use set screws at each end to secure the top mount. Ditto the bottom mount. Hope thishelps, Simon.

Thanks for the suggestions Simon,

I was contemplating making up eccentric bushes and as you point out, top and bottom mounts would need doing to maintain vertical alignment - I was hoping not to have to strip everything down that far .

An alternative is to bore out the chaincase seal diameter on to the correct centres and sleeve it back for the seal. The up side is I've already got it stripped down that far!

I'll go and stare at it a bit longer...

Mark

Hi Mark,

The above is clearly an engineering solution which will most likely solve the problem. However, I see that you have said that there is no play in the gearbox mountings, but have you considered the engine mounting bolts ? It may be possible to jiggle the engine back and forth to get the correct alighnment. In the past I have found that the wiring gromet weeps oil as they go rock hard after a very short time.

Cheers HT

Previously wrote:

Hi Mark,

The above is clearly an engineering solution which will most likely solve the problem. However, I see that you have said that there is no play in the gearbox mountings, but have you considered the engine mounting bolts ? It may be possible to jiggle the engine back and forth to get the correct alighnment. In the past I have found that the wiring gromet weeps oil as they go rock hard after a very short time.

Cheers HT

You make a good point Hans!

I'll check that possibility before comitting to cutting any metal.

I could live with a 'weep' from the wiring gromet. In this case, when parked up after a run,I get a line of oil from the rear sprocket to the chaincase, both stands are covered and oil is working it's way up the speedo cable to dribble out over the LH headlight bracket. Not a drop leaks between runs!

Thanks

Mark

My word, it gets more bizzar !

Starting from the front; oil mist can appear up the fork legs and around the head light if either of the fork oil seals are blown. It gathers in the gaiters and eventually finds its way out and up.

There should not be any oil in the speedo cable as it can find its way into the speedo,according to Tony Pople.

I presume that you have crawled underneath the bike and seen this trail of oil up the back of the casing ? Not a pleasant job.

"After a run", therefore speed would blow oil all over the place. Check that the centre fixing bolt for the inner case is not causing it to twist. Fit the inner chaincase onto the crankcase loosely without any washers on that long bolt and check the gap between case and the face of the bolt, and only replace a washer of that thickness. (Mk11 are so much easier.)

Do you have a black box air filter ? I once found that oil was dripping from there all over the back end. Breather was venting oil into the air box. Check if the air filter foam is soaked.

Finally , when you have got it all back together, take out the timing access plug or the clutch adjustment plug, start the bike and hold a peice of tissue over the hole. Any puffing or sucking will indicate a blown crank end seal. Beleive me I have done it and had to strip the whole damn lot again !

Good luck........

NB. All from personal experience, and therefore not difinitive solutions, without seeing the bike.

Hi Hans,

Not really bizzare, just VERY oily.

I can see the oil on the back of the chaincase (only around the clutch area) as well as everywhere else, and it's the pink ATF that I prefer to use in the case and its path rearward can be traced. Oil pools in the rear sprocket recess so I'm pretty sure its getting onto the speedo drive and through the cableup to the front - forks rebuilt last year with no leaks apparent when lifting the gaiters.

Taking the inner chaincase off shows a pool of oil in the gearbox sprocket recess, again pink.

Single MKII concentric with K&N style filter with oil tankbreather piped into the end - no oil dripping from the filter. Non return breather on crankcase exit and added a filtered, non return,inlet breather to inlet rocker cover.

Chaincase centre support stud has a nut & washer behind which means it can be adjusted easily to ensure no bending of the cases.

Good point about crank end seal - it would not necessarily contaminate the oil short term but could help oil pump out of a less than perfect seal.

That seal/gearbox relationship is still wrong! I had a go with the crankcase engine plate studs and they're a good fit with no possibility of moving the cradle there.

So I'm going to source a seal with a smaller OD (1.625 instead of 1.875), sleeve the chain case then bore it to suit in the correct position. This way I get the seal in the right placewithout trashing the inner case.

I'd rather be riding it though!

Mark

We were discussing your problem at our (Shropshire) branch meeting last night. One of our members who has a Mk3, and has some experience at wolverhampton, says that the engine plates were machined with the engine bolted in position ie as a unit and that is why the engine number should match with the number stamped on the gearbox. (and frame come to that) It's just become apparent to me when trawling through the tat on ebay that on later Commandos the engine number is stamped on the gearbox. So if at some stage in it's life yours has had a new gearbox casing, that might explain the discrepancy. The easy fix IMHO would be to file the top bolt holes until the desired adjustment is achieved and then pack the gap remaining forward of the bolt to prevent it moving forward in the slot. You could make a proper repair at a later date. It would hardly constitute a bodge as that is what the previous Mks of Commando used. 0.030" would not take five minutes a side. Having seen Simon's Mk3 gearbox, you can remove it without undoing the cradle to engine bolts, unlike the earlier Commandos.

Be aware that if you have a gap on one side of your oil seal 0.030" bigger than the other, you will only need to remove 0.015" to get it centred again.

My last tip would be to buy a new seal from a bearing / seal supplier that has recent new stock rather than seals that have been sitting around for years on a dealers shelf going hard. I learnt that one the hard way.

Previously wrote:

We were discussing your problem at our (Shropshire) branch meeting last night. One of our members who has a Mk3, and has some experience at wolverhampton, says that the engine plates were machined with the engine bolted in position ie as a unit and that is why the engine number should match with the number stamped on the gearbox. (and frame come to that) It's just become apparent to me when trawling through the tat on ebay that on later Commandos the engine number is stamped on the gearbox. So if at some stage in it's life yours has had a new gearbox casing, that might explain the discrepancy. The easy fix IMHO would be to file the top bolt holes until the desired adjustment is achieved and then pack the gap remaining forward of the bolt to prevent it moving forward in the slot. You could make a proper repair at a later date. It would hardly constitute a bodge as that is what the previous Mks of Commando used. 0.030" would not take five minutes a side. Having seen Simon's Mk3 gearbox, you can remove it without undoing the cradle to engine bolts, unlike the earlier Commandos.

Be aware that if you have a gap on one side of your oil seal 0.030" bigger than the other, you will only need to remove 0.015" to get it centred again.

My last tip would be to buy a new seal from a bearing / seal supplier that has recent new stock rather than seals that have been sitting around for years on a dealers shelf going hard. I learnt that one the hard way.

Thanks David,

I've just checked and the engine and gearbox numbers do not match! Engine starts 406, gearbox 334 so your diagnosis seems right.

I was aware that the bike had a new main frame during it's life (MkIIa now) so it's likely other big lumps were not originally put together in the factory!

Lining everything up with the top gearbox bolt removed so all centres are concentric shows an error in the top bolt of around 1/16" which translates to the 'missing' 30 thou at the gearbox shaft (about half way between top and bottom g/box bolts). Primary chain tension at this position looks better as well so it's out with the files.

Seal is a petty standard size and local seal supplier carries stock so I should be OK there.

Thanks to all for your input.

Mark

I have been chasing exactly the same leak from my Mk3 for a while and its totally frustrating both myself and Norman White. Never there after standimng, but always noticeable after a very hard ride. I'll follow with interest.

Cheers

Luke Albanesed

Update

I can now report that after re drilling (boring) the engine plates for the gearbox top mounting I've got the clutch seal to be concentric within a couple of thou. I've only done a hundred miles or so since but not a drop of oil has leaked (from this area) since. I have a slight weep from the gear lever output but that's it from the primary!

I'm hoping that that's fixed it.

The plates were adjusted in situ by making up amandrell to take a 22mm hole saw with a 9/16 diameter front end touse the gearbox top mountas a guide bush - after first moving the gearbox toput everything on centre and clamping using the bottom bolt. A dremel was used to grind the engine plate away to get clear access to the gear box top mount. The hole saw was run in a beefy mains drill at low speed with plenty of lube and the guide ensured it didn't wander or chatter.

I cut holes from both sides and made up stepped washers from stainless to take up the difference between the new holes and the9/16 bolt.

While this is not something that everyone would want to do it appears to have fixedthe problem for me.

Thanks again for your input.

Mark.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans