Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

850 mk3 Airbox and Oil Sepatator

Forums

Hi All

I am restoring my 850 mk3 Roadster (1975) back to standard spec.

I have found a new air box that has not had any fittings on it yet.

I have riveted the top center bracket on and about to do the same with

the side bracket so I now have a few questions.

1 Does the top bracket bolt to the front of the frame see img 1

2 what holes do I use for the side bracket that attaches the side panel, the top or bottom holes see img 2

3 How is the oil separator routed and where does the metal tube that has the grommet on go?

see pic img 3

If some would be kind enough to take a photo of their set up that would be really helpful.

Thanks  Ron

On my MK2a which uses the same black box but with different brackets I can answer Q1, the order from back of bike to front is Bolt head/Frame gusset/spacer/top bracket/washer/nut.

John,

The MK2A is different as the top bracket bolts to the air box, allowing easy removal of the air box. The bracket on the MK3 must sit forward of the gusset plate otherwise you would be need to dismantle a lot of the bike to get it fitted.

Why the stupid change to the Mk3 is anyone's guess. 

Thanks John

Yes you are right it would be virtually impossible to fit with the bracket as its riveted on.I thought it did go to the front but wanted to make sure.

Thanks for your help.

Ron

My MK2a is unrestored, the bracket may be bolted on and not riveted but it still attaches to the gusset plate from the front.

Yes, that is correct but many restorations have it behind the gusset plate, which is tear inducing to find on a MK3. 

Does anyone have a picture of the mk3 oil separator?

Well it looks like I am the only one using the oil separator

so here is a picture of how I think it goes so I will be drilling the hole in the airbox for the  curved pipe and grommet to go into. Notice I have machined up a straight brass tube to go at the top as the curved pipe made the rubber pipe kink so this seemed a better option in my view.

Attachments

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans