Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

850 Mk 1 Sparx problems - in more senses than one...

Forums

Dear All,

Thanks to all the Forumistas who helped me with my starting/wet sumping problem - or at least I think so. This is because having rebuilt my oil pump and fitted a Dutch non-return valve, the bike won't start.

I have a Sparx electronic ignition fitted to the bike. I set the static timing for 15 degrees BTDC (the Sparx system advances by 13 degrees, thus giving a total of about 28 at 5000 rpm). I have done my best to algn the coil plate with the rotor on the right hand cylinder firing stroke, and when I turn the engine over on the starter the spark appears at about the right time.

However, when I try and start the engine (prime carbs; choke lever either off or on - doesn't seem to make much difference) nothing happens for about 5 kicks, after which I get a massive magnum-force style backfire from the right cylinder. The valve timing must be OK as the bike was running before, and the only thing I have taken off is the coil-plate and rotor because I had to remove the timing cover.

Has anyone had any experience with the Sparx system? I wasn't overimpressed by the build quality of the coil-plate - but it seemed to work before OK. Lots of power in the battery.

Any help would be much appreciated, HughD

Mmm, I'd always assumed the Sparx was just like the std Boyer and Pazon ignitions which retard at lower speeds but are statically set at full advance (31deg) and rotor aligned with correct hole in trigger plate. Seems not if you have to set at 15 degrees initial. This is maybe a stupid question but are you aligning with the CCW hole in the trigger plate? If it was the CW hole turning the rotor and plate to align would give you monumental advance. A backfire does indicate too much advance in my book though. Have a word with Tri-Cor.

Thanks Keith

You are quite right and I had not thought this through properly; with the Sparx system, like the others, you set to full advance on the crank, but the hole in the stator plate I'm using (not sure what a CCW hole is) is in 'advance' of the coil - so the spark occurs later when the rotor sweeps under the coil - and is thus retarded. I have now set this up right - and it still doesn't fire. I am afraid the problem lies with the system and not with my timing! I'm going to have to test it part by part....

Thanks again for your diplomatic comments - we are all entitled to a bit of brain-fade every so often!

Hugh

Sorry to hear its still not running. By CCW I meant the counter clockwise hole on the plate as opposed to the clockwise one ( I was looking at the Tricor instructions on their site). They state what you originally said (albeit shown on a Triumph) at 15 btdc. so it is confusing if you are saying the static setup is the same as Boyer etc.? This is the one I looked at.......http://www.tri-corengland.com/acatalog/Sparx_Electronic_Ignition.pdf

Are the wires on the correct plate terminals? I've been doing a lot of brain fading lately, parts in the wrong way round, internal gearbox screws not tightened! Best of luck, let us know what you find.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans