Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

850 JPN - replica or original?

Forums

Hi all please can you help me i have brought a 850 JPN but am not sure if its a replica or original. frame number, f106019 engine, 311909 1974. cheers craig

Hard to say but whatever its not totally original, the engine and frame numbers should match, 106XXX is an early 750 frame number. No records were kept but all JPN's were made in 74. I've got a replica and most people wouldn't know the difference, enjoy it for what it is. A give away is the petrol tank, its 2 tanks welded together to give a capacity of around 3 1 / 2 gallons on the original.

Previously wrote:

Hard to say but whatever its not totally original, the engine and frame numbers should match, 106XXX is an early 750 frame number. No records were kept but all JPN's were made in 74. I've got a replica and most people wouldn't know the difference, enjoy it for what it is. A give away is the petrol tank, its 2 tanks welded together to give a capacity of around 3 1 / 2 gallons on the original.

Hi thanks very much for your info. I think with what you have said that it is a replica, What i do now is that it was restored 25 years ago and has never been ridden.I have started torestore it again as the chrome is a bit pitted. Thanks again for your

cheers craig

Previously craig_wilson wrote:

Previously wrote:

Hi thanks very much for your info. I think with what you have said that it is a replica, What i do now is that it was restored 25 years ago and has never been ridden.I have started torestore it again as the chrome is a bit pitted. Thanks again for your

cheers craig

Hi Craig

Just joined the NOC and noticed your entry about the JPN. We're a bit down the road from your entry but was wondering if your still on the go!

I've just restored my replica and was wondering how your headlights were mounted into the fairing? If it's a replica then you might have had the same problem as I have with no adjustable mounts, if so how did you get round the headlight alignment issue?

On the MK2A Commandos the frame were stamped with a frame number which was not used properly until the MK3, so my MK2A has the engine number 3104** on the engine and the same number 3104** on the Frame plateriveted to the headstock, also on the headstock is a frame number stamped directly on the frame starting F10**** so it looks to me like you have a genuine 74 Commando, whether it left the factory as a JPN is another question and probably only in the despatch records.

The Mk2a despatch records got lost. Even our records, which include some original books neither the NOC nor the VMCC have, include only some late 750/early 850s and the 850Mk3s

Joe/Andover Norton

I half remember being shown how to determine the authenticity of a JPN at a Norton Day many years ago. It's something to do with the fibreglass mouldings and the presence of lack of a joining seam.

Does anyone else know the full details on this one?

No knowledge of the moulding but I have seen ref to the Red plate being placed on the frame under the seat for JPN's and Interpols instead of on the headstock as the fairing made reading the plate impossible.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans