Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

750 barrel colour & recommended paint

Forums

I've got a heavy leak from the barrel base/tachodrive area. Whilst the tops off I'm going to repaint the barrel - it's currently black however a search has highlighted that all 750's were silver.

If true - can this be confirmed - can anyone recommend a good silver barrel paint.

Also...any tips for ensuring the base gasket doesnt leak - just use the paper gasket or does it need thinly smeared in grease or equivalent?Don't want to go through this strip down palaver again anytime soon! lol

It's a 1971 LR Fastback; cheers, Alan

Early 750 Commandos barrels were silver until the combat when they were black though I believe there were early bikes with black barrels. Quoting from Roy Bacon's book, "The 750 Commando block was launched in silver paint,changed to black for the early production and became silver again in march 69. For 1971 it was strengthened and for 72 changed to black for the combat engines. The silver was retained for the standard engines and continued on the 73 engines which kept the same block"

I've had mine powder coated silver but I woundn't recommend it, seems to stain and is soft when hot compared with my previous black powder coating.

For the base I greased my gasket but if you have no faith in that, then welseal would be my weapon of choice.

My 71 Fastback was registered in 71 but club records show it was probably built in late 70

Camcoat offer a very nice silver and I would expect their process to withstand more heat than a barrel is going to see. I have used their black coating and I am very happy with it. Ask them about discolouration anyway.

You would have to send them your barrel for treatment though, so unless the engine is apart maybe not an option at this time.

Thanks for all of your replies, much appreciated.

Still looking for a good quality silver barrel paint if anyone has a recommendation.

I use Halfrauds High temp silver on mine. It leaves a bit of a dry residue but is quite tough, though no comparison to stove enamelling. It does not discolour unlike the PJ1 used on the cases. See pic.

Attachments 24052012302-jpg

Re base gasket, you should have no problems with Andover Norton gaskets. Fitted dry is all that is req. assuming mating surfaces are flat and clean.

Previously keith_glassborow wrote:

I use Halfrauds High temp silver on mine. It leaves a bit of a dry residue but is quite tough, though no comparison to stove enamelling. It does not discolour unlike the PJ1 used on the cases. See pic.

Thanks and nice bike by the way!!

Barrels were probably painted silver to look like alloy, because AMC could not afford to use the real thing! Personally, I would have them blasted back to bare metal, then go for matt black, which radiates heat away better.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans