Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650SS vs. the Atlas

Forums

Hi everyone, changed tact on what Im going to do regards my first norton definitely narrowed it down to a choice of two either a 650ss or a atlas on the lookout for one of either of these at the mo

know the 750 had a reputation for vibration at high revs but also for having some low down grunt but being very buzzy on the top revs

on the earlier bikes is there a marking somewhere else on the engine that dictates its a 650ss as a 62' I've seen had an 18 where the 9 was and a engine number beginning with 1033 know from 64 they had 18ss/ frame no / p

anyone owned both bikes and fancy giving there opinions on what they preferred, pros cons etc, and what the 650ss engine is like :)

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Tom, according to Frank Westworth (who knows about these things):-

650SS - 'Stretched 99 with much better performance, greater vibration and slimline featherbed chassis. Built as the Mercury alongside the Commando until 1969 with a single carb and no tacho. Very good all round bike.'

Atlas - 'Stretched 650 with no more go but plenty of vibes. Huge amount of torque makes for a very relaxed cruiser, but the vibes spoil the acceleration. Still a good bike though.'

HTH

650 Mercury motor is identical to the 650ss. single carb and points ignition, seat has a hump at the back. Primary chaincase, mudguards, chainguard and oil tank/battery box painted an odd blue colour. I am in the process of restoring one.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans