Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650SS twin carb question

Forums

650SS, twin 376 monoblocks, left carb with float chamber, right chopped ie no float

When ticking over on the side stand the right hand cylinder misfires, lean the bike to the right the left hand cylinder misfires, with the bike upright both cylinders are ok, the bikes goes well on the road, pulls well with plently of power/speed.

I have been told it is one of those things with this chopped carb setup.

Anyone else had this problem?

By the way; the fuel system is clean, no restrictions, all jets clear, no air leaks, slides a good fit in carb bodies, carb set up ie mixture etc is good.

Thanks for any feed back

Tony

Alan's right - use the centre stand. Inevitably, if the bike is leaning over when stationary, the mixture will go all to pot with a chopped carb, but still be OK on the road. The answer? Handed carbs or concentrics. Or remove the side stand.

Alan/Gordon,

Thank you for your suggestions, Amal told me to go faster around corners.

I have a centre stand but when out on the road on Wednesday stopped to check things put her on the side stand and had the misfire, put her upright and it stopped lent the other way and the the left cylinder started to run rough.

Clearly a lack of fuel or poor mixture issue, now i know the problem exists I can deal with it.

Thanks again

Tony

Forgive my ignorance in all of this, but what are the advantages of 'chopping' in the first place?

Chris,

This refers to monoblock carbs only

No room to get two left hand float bowl type carbs to fit unless a splayed manifold is fitted.

Incidently Amal told me that right hand float bowl monoblock carbs are no longer made.

Tony

hello it sounds to me like fuel shortage some were, the carburettors should be connected to gether by two banjos under the main jets . and tick over is controlled by the pilot jet so if the pilot jet is getting blocked or its not bigging enough so go to the next size . have you any bluing on the exhaust pipe . over advanced ignition and lean mixture

hope this help some along the line.

yours Anna J Dixon

Alan/Anna,

I will take a photo tonight and post later on to show you what I'm on about.

Anna; carbs connected as you describe and mixture as spot on as it can be, as Amal said, go faster round corners, fit a right hand float carb or concentrics.

Tony

How did Eric Oliver manage with sidecar racing with (presumably) twin monoblocks? (One alleged improvement with the Concentric was that it is less sensitive to sideways forces.)

You'd need to read up on what Eric Oliver was using. Back in the day I suspect a lot of racers used TT or GP carburetors.

Colin.

Previously wrote:

How did Eric Oliver manage with sidecar racing with (presumably) twin monoblocks? (One alleged improvement with the Concentric was that it is less sensitive to sideways forces.)

Anthony, I know what you are on about. My brief and carelessly expressed comment was about a speculation that Norton wanted their road bikes to look like the Domiracers and decided on a chopped monobloc as a quick, crude and cheap (ie typical 1960s Norton) to achieve parallel carbs on the downdraught head. I think Norton used the idea first but they also appeared on some of the AMC twins. The Triumph Bonnie had them for a time but Triumph did it properly and used a remote float chamber.

Alan

hello well you can all ways fit Gardner flat side carbs Like I had on My 99SS . It could do 135 MPH 6speed quaife gear box, 23 teeth on the Gear box 10.5.1 compression, 650ss head Special made bottom end and crankshaft built up all roll bearing crank six speed pump special made rods and camshaft. all made at doncaster locomotive workshops . a real caferacer

Not true, they built some 8Fs there....

Back in the 60s a friend of the old man had a BMW R69 with Steib chair that had been done in the paint shop at Horwich, Blackberry Black cycle parts, tank mudguards and chair body Brunswick Green with orange and black lining out, numberplates signwritten in 'straw', it looked fantastic, unfortunately it got scrapped.....

All very interesting, but, does it really matter? If the bike runs ok, on the road, what is the problem? The side stand is only used when parked.

My grandfather's next door neighbour laid a rather naff concrete path which had circles of pink concrete in it - 21" diameter. A3 piston rings could be seen embedded therein. However, my grandfather brought home a gallon of superheater oil for my dad's bike, a 680 Zenith. It got 30 miles before the big ends failed. False economy!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans