Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650SS throttle cable Venhill / Pazon Altair

Forums

Hi Everyone,

really getting there with the SS now :) she's looking great

just getting ready to get a set of Amals new premier Concentrics for my 1967 650ss but my bikes got a single carb on it at the moment just wondering if anyone has ordered a throttle cable assy from Venhill before as they do three different ones for the 650ss just trying to figure out which is the right one to order for twin concentrics on the SS?

www.venhill.co.uk/Motorcycle_Hoses_and_Cables/NORTON/500-650/DOMINATOR/650_MODEL_SS_1962_ON

also just looking at a electronic ignition system to replace the mag and was wondering has anyone fitted the new pazon or any of the other pazon systems to one how did you find it? and did you need to get the norton solid drive sprocket that they do?

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Tom

I fitted a Pazon to my 1972 Commando 750 last August after my Boyer died as a result of a short in the electrics.

The kitcost around £110 and to my surprise did not contain any coils.

However, the kit was a direct replacement forthe Boyer and so went straight on with few changes. The Ignition module had nice long wires which helped with finding a mountingposition out of the weather. Also, the centre bolt for the trigger came with a key to assist in fitting or removing this item.

The Pick-up platehad rotationmarkings and scales to help set the ignition timing. It was quick and easy to adjust.

Mybig gripe was that of the kit containing just one set ofspades connectors for the coil wires. There were no other connectors for the Ignition module and I was left late at night searching foreither a set of bullets and sleeves or spades, females and sleeves to hook up with the old system wiring. Considering the cost compared to the competitors kitsI felt a few more connectors could have been included as it is so easy to miswire or break one during assembly.

Gripe number two was the engine kicking back during starting. This never happened with the Boyer and consequentlyI always did very well in 'quick-start' competitons at rallies.

With the Pazon, I retarded the ignition more and more until the acceleration suffered badly and still it kicked me back often. On advice, I even changed brand of plugsbut this made no difference.

Once running, the engine is smooth, even and has no dead carb spots. But neither did the Boyer. I am not too convinced of the value of buying another one if the need arose.

Do you really want to go back to twin carbs? Switching to a single carb was one of the best things I ever did to my Norton....

Returning to the first question, Venhill make good cables, but I think it is mostly luck if one buys cables from any source that fit. I now buy unfinished cables and trim and solder to suit.

Good Luck.

Alan

If you are getting kickback with the Pazon then its faulty assuming you haven't got issues with advancedtiming marks in the chaincase (unlikely given the performance change when installed retarded). One of the Pazon's advantages is it's increased retard at low (kickstart) revs. I did have a pickup coil fail after 20mins (production before they moved to NZ) but has been fine since then.

For overadvancing at kicking speeds the micro digital Boyer takes some beating. The example I had was diabolical and as with your Pazon I had to retard to 27 deg max to stop it taking out my shin if I did not give it less than a huge boot.

Hi Tom,

I've fitted a Pazon electronic ignition on my 99 some months ago and I'm very satisfied with it. Igot the full system (incl. coil and electronic box and the solid drive sprocket from them too. Theinstallation is easy and very well documented, and Andy replies quickly and precisely to any request.

The only problem I had is that the rotor was not tighten enough onits shaft. Since the set-up was OK at first try, I thought they had it set in advance at 31? BTDC for my Dommieand did'nt check until it worked worse and worse. But once fixed, it worked and still works really well. No kick-back, smoother acceleration, more power.

Hope it helps.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans