Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650ss oil tank turret

Forums

I have a 650ss built in late 61 with the slimline frame the oil tank does not havethebreatherturret fitted, Isuspect that thismay not beoriginal but I am not sure, I wonder if any of you knowledgeable peopleout thereknow if thisis could be correct for this year.

Regards Ben

Previously wrote:

I have a 650ss built in late 61 with the slimline frame the oil tank does not havethebreatherturret fitted, Isuspect that thismay not beoriginal but I am not sure, I wonder if any of you knowledgeable peopleout thereknow if thisis could be correct for this year.

Regards Ben

hello Big Ben Do you meen A Breather Tower ,if is yes then your bike has the right one if it does NOT HAve a Breather Tower ?? The Breather Tower Was Fitted To Atlas and Manxman For Export To The USA( Manxman From 1961 And Atlas From 1962),British 650 SS From1962 well I hope This Confuses you a Bit more ?? Yours Anna J Dixon

Hi Anna

Thanks forthe response, yes I did mean the breather tower - turret- tomato anyway it doesn't have one so it must be correct for the year, thanks again.

Previously wrote:

Hi Anna

Thanks forthe response, yes I did mean the breather tower - turret- tomato anyway it doesn't have one so it must be correct for the year, thanks again.

hello yes your right is the right one for the year , May we may bump into each other some time maybe hunstanton if your going ? yours Anna J Dixon

Previously wrote:

Regards Ben

I have a 62' 650ss that is original and it does not have the breather tower. Furthermore, the two American spec early 61' 650 Norton Manxman's I have owned do NOT have a breather tower. I have an original 62' 88ss that still has it's British pressed alloy number plates on and it does have a breather tower.

I would throw the original tank in a box and fit one with the tower for practicality's sake?

The early 61" 650 Norton Manxman that I rode for years was bought new by a friend of my father. I bought it from him and it was 100% original. It had the black breather hose from the crankcase routed straight downward to empty on the ground in front of the rear tire! After going sideways around a highway on ramp one day, I put a longer hose on that was routed back to behind the rear tire. It would have helped oil economy though to have been able to stick it into a breather tower.

These early 650s also had a breather on the rear tappet cover that was a banjo fitting under the center hold-down bolt, this too was also routed straight downward to empty on the ground in front of the rear tire but it never seemed to put out any oil so I left it where it was.

Both of my 62' SS bikes are without the tappet breather so it looks like it was a one-year oddball experiment.

Those 61' and 62' Bracebridge street Dominators had it all didn't they?

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans