Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650 Mercury clutch basket

Forums

I have a damaged clutch basket on my mercury and seem unable to locate a eplacement. RGM sold me one which takes 4 plates (friction and metal). My unit is a 5 plate clutch. I have attached a pic of the two baskets to show the difference in size.

Any ideas?

Attachments basket.jpg

Dominic,

Dommi/ES2 clutch baskets are available as of today (really!) from Andover Norton, newly made in the UK, not India, after an absence of about 20 years. The other clutch parts we currently don't carry, i.e. those for the clutch centre, to follow very shortly.

Regards

Joe Seifert

That is good news Joe, A later AMC plain drum with a friction material back plate is a much better solution for the old singles than trying to force corks into the old pre-war / wartime drums. A motorcycle with a dodgy clutch action is an unpleasant thing indeed and those early clutches can slip and drag at the same time (which should be the preserve of Commandos with over-filled chaincases).

Are there any plans to make pre-AMC gearbox spares ? Decent sleeve gears with undamaged steel thrust washers are a devil of a job to find.

Previously wrote:

I have a damaged clutch basket on my mercury and seem unable to locate a eplacement. RGM sold me one which takes 4 plates (friction and metal). My unit is a 5 plate clutch. I have attached a pic of the two baskets to show the difference in size.

Any ideas? hello dominic If you send the basket too me I will get it sort for you and send it back so you can use it again My friend As A engineering workshop As done theses Clutch Baskets Before . Hope this Helps you , Yours Anna J Dixon east yorkshire branch for more info Email me at annajeannette@btinternet.com

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Any ideas? hello dominic If you send the basket too me I will get it sort for you and send it back so you can use it again My friend As A engineering workshop As done theses Clutch Baskets Before . Hope this Helps you , Yours Anna J Dixon east yorkshire branch for more info Email me at annajeannette@btinternet.com

Thanks Anna. Email sent.

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Hello Dominic How the clutch basket I welded up for you , I did not get a reply from you are you Ok , Yours Anna J

Hi Anna

I did send you an email at the end of August thanking you for the work done. The basket seems fine. At last the bike is moving under its own steam.

thank you once again

regards

Dominic

Hello dominic Well done If it fails again then RGM Motors have some new ones in stock Hope this help yours anna j

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans