Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

596cc Nomad has been replaced by the blue 650cc twin

Forums

I am including a link to my photobucket page that shows the original Lucas document that is theaddendumto the 1961 Norton parts list.

The 3rdsentencereads " The 596cc "Nomad has been replaced by the 650cc twin, to which no model name has been given. This is still for U.S.A. only. It has a blue headlamp, part no. 58761A

This document was from April of 1961.Very interesting stuff !!!! I will be scanning the September 1961 spares list (for 1962 Nortons) soon & will post it as well !

Enjoy !!!

Previously wrote:

I am including a link to my photobucket page that shows the original Lucas document that is theaddendumto the 1961 Norton parts list.

The 3rdsentencereads " The 596cc "Nomad has been replaced by the 650cc twin, to which no model name has been given. This is still for U.S.A. only. It has a blue headlamp, part no. 58761A

This document was from April of 1961.Very interesting stuff !!!! I will be scanning the September 1961 spares list (for 1962 Nortons) soon & will post it as well !

Enjoy !!!

hello Eugene well its Not from a 650cc Norton Manxman Head Lamp Parts Number 58241B Yours Anna J

I have just included the LUCAS N.V.S. 1790 addendum from September 1961 for the 1962 Nortons. In it on page -3- Shows the (Manxman-Blue) Lucas part number 58761A for model MCH61 headlamp, other details as part number 58885A.

The link is the same as before:

ATB,

Skip

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Enjoy !!!

hello Eugene well its Not from a 650cc Norton Manxman Head Lamp Parts Number 58241B Yours Anna J

Hello my Norton manxman Parts manual dated January 1961 states Lucas Parts Number 58241B for a original replacement head lamp

hello what i have just seen on your Photobucket was a Lucas parts manual dated September 1961 ,my parts Manual will of been in print before January 1961 as the machine in question were built from November 7th 1960 ,And my bike was built in December 1960 , But having said this It was Not the first 650 built by Norton there were 6 engines Made and one motorcycle built with one of these engines and the Frame was Not a Featherbed Frame used to test the said engine . it was a prototype frame Know as the Pluto Frame . And Oil in The frame type frame. this was made well before BSA or Triumph Made there Oil in the Frame Machines. The engine in Question was the Unified twin 6 engine were built in late 1958 into 1959. and was tryed out a MIRA By Fred Swift ,Charley Edwards, Development engineer Bill Pincher . it was rode round MIRA for some 20 laps the Machine Handled well But the short stroke motor did get Hot and over heat. But 120mph was seen and recorded . the reason that the development stopped .was This prototype had not been given the AMC Boards approval . it was been keep from the AMC board . And when it was leaked to the AMC board they Stopped it all ASP . The Motor was Designed by Doug Hele And Bill Pincher . and Burt Hopwood knew all about it, But did not say anything to the AMC board . and the Domiracers also was kept from the AMC board. most of Norton's development work was keep secret and from the eyes of the AMC board . after there other prototype a Unit 250cc Single in 1954 got shelfed by the AMC Board . your Anna J

The above is odd, as I have the minutes from the AMC board meeting that asked for the drawings of the U/T and also that Norton's were building six U/T engines, and AMC requested three of them for testing. The U/T was tested in a Model 77 frame, and it would not have fitted into a Pluto frame as the gearbox main shaft would have been up higher. I know I have tried to fit it in to such a frame. I have five sets of minutes from the AMC board meetings at Plumstead, where the U/T was also called the Integrated Twin, and the P8. Look at the September 2004 and September 1988 edition of Classic Bike. The design was done by Bert Hopwood, Brian Jones, and Doug Hele. The drawing were drawn by John Priest, and the first U/T engine was built by Fred Swift. Fred also hand made the conrods. I spoke to Brian Jones at length concerning the U/T and he told me the U/T's problems were all sorted out and the motor was ready to be put into production. It was put on hold in 1963, (as per the board meeting minutes) but never revived. This could be due to AMC being very short f money for any more development costs. The U/T was going to replace all the other twins in the AMC range. I was doing all this research whenor may be very few even knew of the U/T's existence. This was back in the 1980's when all those associated with the U/T were still alive and their memories were still very good. I also wrote at length in an edition of Roadholder concerning the U/T, and I also quoted from the AMC board minutes. I have letters from Doug Hele, and Bert Hopwood. Bert Hopwood told me that he did not know any thing about the U/T in a letter he wrote to me,but Brian Jones explained he only did that to get rid of me. Brian Jones explained that Bert Hopwood had allot of input into the U/T's design. I have the full factory drawing for the U/T and on it there is pencil marks showing where the over heating was taking place. There was a huge amount of design work done to the U/T, and it is very smooth when it is being ridden. I hope to have the other U/T with the twin carb cylinder head built soon into another frame.To be able to ride the only U/T in the world is such a wonderful feeling, and also i was told many times you will not be able to do it.

Hi ANNA,

I downloaded 2 documents, one is only 2 pages & is dated April 1961 an is numbered N.V.S. 1742, is is an addendum, to update previous parts lists, and that is the one that mentions the Nomad being replaced with the "Blue bike". It shows the headlamp being a blue one, part number 58761A instead of the black bodied 58241B on page 5 (of the original) parts list. Details as for the black headlamp except for the following: (see photobucket link to read the whole parts list).

The second download is Lucas list no. N.V.S. 1790 dated Sept 1961. It is 4 pages long & is an addendum, to update previous parts lists.

Hopefully that clears things up

All the best,

Skip

P.S. perhaps with the new website we could have a place to dump copies of any Norton related factory manuals & parts lists. Lucas, Smiths, & Girling could also be included. it seems a shame that members have hoarded (I am guilty) all the info they could over the years & now some of this stuff is hard to find & the newer members cant always find the info they need. This seems particularly true on any of the pre-commando stuff. God help you if you are restoring a Nomad, Unified twin, or any incarnation of the P-11 as info is very thin on the ground. As a club, isn't it ourresponsibilityto gather this info in one place & preserve it for future generations???

Previously wrote:

The above is odd, as I have the minutes from the AMC board meeting that asked for the drawings of the U/T and also that Norton's were building six U/T engines, and AMC requested three of them for testing. The U/T was tested in a Model 77 frame, and it would not have fitted into a Pluto frame as the gearbox main shaft would have been up higher. I know I have tried to fit it in to such a frame. I have five sets of minutes from the AMC board meetings at Plumstead, where the U/T was also called the Integrated Twin, and the P8. Look at the September 2004 and September 1988 edition of Classic Bike. The design was done by Bert Hopwood, Brian Jones, and Doug Hele. The drawing were drawn by John Priest, and the first U/T engine was built by Fred Swift. Fred also hand made the conrods. I spoke to Brian Jones at length concerning the U/T and he told me the U/T's problems were all sorted out and the motor was ready to be put into production. It was put on hold in 1963, (as per the board meeting minutes) but never revived. This could be due to AMC being very short f money for any more development costs. The U/T was going to replace all the other twins in the AMC range. I was doing all this research whenor may be very few even knew of the U/T's existence. This was back in the 1980's when all those associated with the U/T were still alive and their memories were still very good. I also wrote at length in an edition of Roadholder concerning the U/T, and I also quoted from the AMC board minutes. I have letters from Doug Hele, and Bert Hopwood. Bert Hopwood told me that he did not know any thing about the U/T in a letter he wrote to me,but Brian Jones explained he only did that to get rid of me. Brian Jones explained that Bert Hopwood had allot of input into the U/T's design. I have the full factory drawing for the U/T and on it there is pencil marks showing where the over heating was taking place. There was a huge amount of design work done to the U/T, and it is very smooth when it is being ridden. I hope to have the other U/T with the twin carb cylinder head built soon into another frame.To be able to ride the only U/T in the world is such a wonderful feeling, and also i was told many times you will not be able to do it.

Hello Well That the story I got from Real classic !! tech pages

Anna,

Unfortunatelythe information you quoted wasn'tfrom the Real Classic article on the unified twin(do you recall which article was it from?). What issue, year?

Skip

Previously wrote:

Anna,

Unfortunatelythe information you quoted wasn'tfrom the Real Classic article on the unified twin(do you recall which article was it from?). What issue, year?

Skip

Hello Eugene I am looking into this. But I may of miss read the artical But we see . I am trying to put a book together with all this in so the right information is paramount so any help on this would be welcomed . and your names will be put in the book as contributers yours Anna J Dixon

If you wanted to know about the U/T why not ask me, as i have a huge amount of research concerning it, as well the factory drawings. One running bike, and one on the way that should be completed with a twin carb cylinder head.As for your wanted 650 barrel, there is one on sale in this months OBM. I also have a huge amount of research on the Nomads, which includes factory letters sent out dealers in North America and Canad. I also factory letters sent ot dealers in America as their importers wanted to get more power from the then Model 7 engines. I must live in a sort of Norton Museum. I also obtained all the parts books from the then Norton Dealer, Taylor Matterssons when they closed their premises in the late 1970's.

Previously wrote:

If you wanted to know about the U/T why not ask me, as i have a huge amount of research concerning it, as well the factory drawings. One running bike, and one on the way that should be completed with a twin carb cylinder head.As for your wanted 650 barrel, there is one on sale in this months OBM. I also have a huge amount of research on the Nomads, which includes factory letters sent out dealers in North America and Canad. I also factory letters sent ot dealers in America as their importers wanted to get more power from the then Model 7 engines. I must live in a sort of Norton Museum. I also obtained all the parts books from the then Norton Dealer, Taylor Matterssons when they closed their premises in the late 1970's.

Hello Anthony I love to talk to you About This .And I trying to complete a Book We are putting to gether Its Will Be for Norton Members . And Called Norton Twins Rare models . and taking in the R&D Twins like the U/T This Motor really Proved its self , it would of been a very good engine, and motorcycle It should Not be Forgotten and There Was Some other Designs done that not many have seen . like in 1950 there was a BRM 4 Cylinder Designed .For Norton .but nothing came of it .this was a real same. And as For Taylor.Mattersson I use to get all my spares from them they were really good service, its a same there not around now, My Contact Details are 01430 430831 or email/ annajeannette@btinternet.com anytime > yours Anna J dixon

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans