Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

230 holes in Atlas clutch continued....

Forums

Further to my previous message this is an attempt to post a picture. Has anyone has seen this modification previously or know where It might have been done?

Attachments ATLAS-CLUTCH-001.JPG

Seen plenty similar but not usually with quite so many holes. In a shed on a winter's night when there is not much on TV is my guess as to the likely location.

Previously wrote:

Further to my previous message this is an attempt to post a picture. Has anyone has seen this modification previously or know where It might have been done?

Hello well this is one clutch for the scrap bin as all those holes have made it weaker ,and there was no sense in drilling them in the first place they do not save any weight .

Someone has spent long winter nights with a drill stand. Anna, it has made the clutch lighter - if you remove metal, things do actually get lighter. The clutch action will remain the same however. So it has reduced the inertia of the clutch, though compared with flywheel inertia the effect will be negligible. Scrap bin? Probably not. The pressure plate is a pretty solid bit of kit and I don't see that this one is likely to fail in use, despite the holes. Gordon.

Previously wrote:

Thanks to all for their time and thoughts, this one will probably stay on the shelf for now, kept as evidence, until I can try and sort out this bikes past, as there are other modifications that suggest perhaps a racing history although it could just be aroadspecial. I plan on using a belt primary drive with commando type clutch, at least for now. Interestingly the clutch plates look like they've had a hard life, although it worked properly in the short distance I've ridden it. Hopefully back on the road this (local) summer. thanks again Dave from Bathurst

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans