Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

2013 rally - French helmet law: reflective stickers

Forums

I've just been checking up on French travel requirements prior to the Rally in Montsauche, whilst the fine for not having a breathalyser has gone (together with the day-glo tabard), a stupid regulation remains: http://ukfrancebikers.com/2013/03/16/france-compulsory-reflective-stickers-on-all-helmets/. According to this article above (& chatter on other forums)enforcement seems to have been stepped up.

The regulation in question requiresthe application of 4 faily large reflective stickers to the helmet(punishment for non-compliance is 3 points & a spot fine of 135 euros), there is no exception for tourists.According to this article above (& chatter on other forums)enforcement seems to have been stepped up.

I'm happy to endeavour to comply with something whilst visiting (e.g. I usually pack spare bulbs, modify dip, etcwhen travelling anyway), but the stingeris the statementthat the stickers 'should not be removable without damaging the helmet'. Havingrecently purchaseda new Schuberth I have little interest in adding pointless stickers that are only required in la belle France and nowhere else in the world!

I figure that one is unlikely to be stopped/fined if stickers of some kind are fitted, so does anybody have any ideas on removable non-destructive stickers?

Cheers

Mike

MK III Commando

Hi Mike, you can purchase reflective vinyl in any colour (including black believe it or not) from www.thevinylcorporation.com and probably other vinyl suppliers, which can be hand cut, but I think you may have to buy it by the metre. It can be removed up to about a couple of years later by warming with a hair drier and peeling. Hope this helps. If you get really stuck I could probably make some for you if you let me know where to send them.

Les ex sign writer

Previously les_noble wrote:

Hi Mike, you can purchase reflective vinyl in any colour (including black believe it or not) from www.thevinylcorporation.com and probably other vinyl suppliers, which can be hand cut, but I think you may have to buy it by the metre. It can be removed up to about a couple of years later by warming with a hair drier and peeling. Hope this helps. If you get really stuck I could probably make some for you if you let me know where to send them.

Les ex sign writer

My local builders merchants stocks reflective tape, in red and white, in 2 inch wide rolls. I use the white to make reflective number plate letters and numbers.

Maybe Geoff Scales could come back to us on this subject and tell us if it is an issue in France. Most expensive helmets strictly forbid putting stickers on them. Bit like ethanol in petrol. You wouldn't want your helmet going soft now would you?

Apologies for slow response, just back online & see site available, I did raise this question with Geoff who responded:

'Forget about helmet stickers - never heard of anyone being done for lack!'so I guess it's a bit of alottery

O.K. on GRP helmets but certainly not on plastic ones. When I was in the RAF our flying helmets had strips of white reflective tape stuck on them. Didn't see the point. If you crashed it wasn't going to help, especially as you had a great big Rolls Royce meat blender right behind your seat and it wasn't going to stop in the event that you came to a sudden and unexpected halt. Presumably the reflective strips were to assist snipers if you were lurking about on the ground...

Previously mike_sullivan wrote:
Havingrecently purchaseda new Schuberth I have little interest in adding pointless stickers that are only required in la belle France and nowhere else in the world!

You could always buy a cheapo helmet, sticker it up as required, then use it solely as a French bobby-dodger...

As I understand it, after browsing the internet, the reflective stickers are only compulsory for helmets actually sold in France. I will be attending the international rally, and, also riding a short distance through France on my way to the Begonia rally. I, personally will not be applying any stickers to my helmet. John.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans