Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1974 850 main bearing endfloat

Forums

I am in the process of rebuilding the bottm end of my 850 and with repacing the two mains, I have measured the endfloat and am seeing it at 0.003". Looking at the manuals and over the internet, it calls for anything between 0.007" and up to 0.030". The question is: is 0.003" just too tight? I am not entirely happy with it and and going to tear the cases apart once again and check that everything is ok, but what is the process for increasing the endfloat? The bearings used are FAG 306E with brass cages and all fits fine apart from the endfloat.. Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks.

I would go for the lower end of the recommended clearances, min.0.007" if that is what is in the manual, can't remember what I set mine to last time the engine was apart, possibly 0.010". I think your .003"clearance definitely needs to be increased.

Simon.

End float normally increases a bit when warm. In the NOC 'Service Notes', Tim Stevens wrote "..should be between 10 and 30 thou, but don't worry if it's not as long as there is some float."

I've never seen an engine with as little float as you mention and my concern would be that one of the bearings might not be fully home, rather than the fact that it seems a little on the tight side. Did the outers drop into the warm cases with a nice 'clunk' or could there be a sliver of alli behind ?

Thanks for the information. I stripped the cases down and discovered a previous repair subsequent to the last owner removing the Primary drive sprocket by pushing it off from the crankcase. This left the bearing not seating properly and therefore reducing the endfloat. The seat has again been made good by machining the seat flat once again, and I am now seeing around 0.008" endfloat.. By the way, I bought the bike in bits when the last owner was trying to restore the machine..

Thanks again, on to the next problem..

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans