Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1971 Fastback

Forums

Have imported bike into UK and need to MOT and Register same,

Not sure if indicators were fitted to the machine! Any idea when they

became legal requirement?

Paul

A letter to the Club Librarian might reveal all the goodies your bike should have been wearing when first supplied to the dealer.

1971 was the year when indicators were optional. They became standard on the 1972 range of bikes which werecatalogued from Autumn 1971.

The first Commando Lucas indicator switches were hung on the left side of the handlebar......which makes sense. The 1972 models had this switchmoved tothe right bar.......which is bonkers as inevitably when you operate the indicators you either close or open the throttle as well.

Thanks guys for your input on the subject, Phil seems to have hit the nail on the head as the bike is 1971 which I forgot to mention!

Have now obtained wiring diagram for bike and indicators are shown!

previous owner has "tinkered" with wiring to suit his needs which include no pilot lamp in headlamp unit, so more to sort out, lucky me.

My 71 Fastback does not have indicators fitted, but has the full set of control switches on each handlebar.

To fit rear indicators, I need to fit the later No plate bracket that has fittings for the indicators? Would a 71 Fastback have short or long indicator stalks?

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans