Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1970 swing arm pinion thread profile?

Forums

Hello, I have removed two swingarm pinions by using the front isolastic center bolt as an extractor which is described in the Norton shop service manual. some times they come out rather hard, otherseasily if no rust has occured. today i was getting ready to do the same on a 70 model but the samebolt does not fit?My question then :IS THE PINION SHAFT FOR THE SWINGARM ONTHE EARLY COMMANDONOT THE SAME AS THE NEWER MODELS. It seems to be the same part number with the exception that the MK 3 has an entirely different pinion because of the locking method. It is possible the end is compromised somehow (my eyes are a bit weak with out a magnifier)but i dont want to screw in a 1/2 20 tap if i have some other thread form in there...

thank you

If anyone is interested, it is 1/2 20 tpi. just had a flaw on the end, straitened it out with a tap, pinion was easily removed with slide hammer and very little effort.

Hello Steve anna here I do know that 1/2 20 pitch is BSF and later commando where Built In UNF and a different Pitch what size I do not Know that one ,Norton would of been better too got metric than UNF sizes ? This was the EU bugged up our english imperial sizes when there was nothing wrong with them , The EU As made a mess of this country and us doppey lot as let them its time we stood for on nonsens and stood up for britain ? and kick out these chinese and jap bike years ago all the cash of these bikes goes to there country they are get rich of our backs time it stopped ???? British jobs for british workers ?

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans