Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1965 Atlas Cam followers

Forums

Doing some work on a `65 Atlas that has stood for some 20 years, after sorting Carbs, Mag etc..., Started but bad knocking from bottom end. On strip found Mains and Big ends OK, but one cam follower had failed. The face of the follower has sheared and broken up !!

Are the followers one piece, as it appears to have sheared off three quarters of the hardened face ?

Has anyone encountered this?

Also it has according to the owner, to the best of his memory a "Lumpy cam" fitted. I tend to agree with him because when i removed it i found 3 keyways for the cam sprocket!

I am thinking of putting in a standard cam and new followers.

Has anyone out there got a Cam and maybe even followers for sale?

I would appreciate any help at all with these isues.

Kind regards Ian Hind

PS. I will post pictures later.

Ian, the piece which has come off is made of Stellite, a hard wear resisting non ferrous alloy used in such applications. It is probably brazed to the tappet body but it can also be deposited by welding and is often used to repair cams and followers.Triumph twins have Stellite faced tappets .Replacement parts should be the same, but el cheapo parts on the market today are often made of hard cast iron, nowhere near as good as the originals. Regards John.

Previously wrote:

Ian, the piece which has come off is made of Stellite, a hard wear resisting non ferrous alloy used in such applications. It is probably brazed to the tappet body but it can also be deposited by welding and is often used to repair cams and followers.Triumph twins have Stellite faced tappets .Replacement parts should be the same, but el cheapo parts on the market today are often made of hard cast iron, nowhere near as good as the originals. Regards John.

Thanks for the information John, makes more sense now.

Cheers Ian

Ian,

Atlas Camshafts are available from Andover Norton STD as 06-7817, 2S profile as 06-7817/2S. These are now cast iron whilst the originals were forgings. Camshafts are not subject to great torsional stresses, and the camshafts have been made as castings for over a decade. No problems known (as opposed to the Mk3 forged ones that tended to fail in service, or all pattern ones).

Camfollowers are available in O/E quality under part #06-7820, or in oversize under 06-7820/020 when the cam tunnels are worn. They come paired, i.e. one pair per side/2 pairs per engine.

Joe

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans